PDA

View Full Version : Hw to subscribe to a global internet service provider

bigbrovar
May 12th, 2008, 11:43 PM
the internet service in my country is very expensive and it sucks .. really really sucks .. so i was thinking if there was any global isp i could subscribe to and get internet service probably thru my gprs/3g enable nokia phone .. i dont know if this makes sense but is it possible

am getting desperate

Madman6510
May 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I don't really think that there's such thing as a "Global" ISP, ie. you're not going to get wi-fi in Kenya. ISPs usually vary by country, a high tech country will have fast internet, with some satellite, while a low tech country will only have dialup, or no internet at all.

SuperSon!c
May 13th, 2008, 12:33 AM
yeah, if your local ISP's are that bad, i highly doubt you'll have 3G in that area. time to move!

bigbrovar
May 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Oh well cant Blame me for trying ... Good new is i just subscribed to a local 3g network and the speed is 500kps .. i guess i will have to make do with that for now :(

aeiah
May 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
there are some services that'll give you an internet connection anywhere in the world, but these are massivley expensive, much like satellite phones. your best bet is probably your 3g thing but id read the small print; a lot of those will have stringent monthly bandwidth limits. the ones here in the uk only let you use 3gb a month i think.

if you live near a university, you could try piggy backing their wireless if you have a nice antenna, but if it isnt open, you'll have to hack it and that could land you with a fine

helliewm
May 13th, 2008, 04:10 PM
there are some services that'll give you an internet connection anywhere in the world, but these are massivley expensive, much like satellite phones. your best bet is probably your 3g thing but id read the small print; a lot of those will have stringent monthly bandwidth limits. the ones here in the uk only let you use 3gb a month i thin

Try looking at T-Mobile in the UK. I have this plan Flex 35 and Web and Walk Max. I got a USB Modem on contract instead of a phone. I bought a HP IPAQ Voice Messenger 514 Smartphone off ebay for £60.00 they retail on the HP website at £179!

I have £180 worth of call and texts. 10gig bandwith with video and audio streaming plus skpe VOIP calls for £52.50 a month. As well as unlimited free WIFI minutes.

If I want to use the USB Modem I just take the SIM out of the phone and put it in the USB Modem. I use the drivers for the USB Modem from here.

https://forge.vodafonebetavine.net/frs/?group_id=12

If anyone calls when I am using the USM Modem I get a text message to my laptop.

I also use bluetooth PAN from the IPAQ Voice Messenger to give me an internet connection of my Nokia N800 Internet Tablet.

I am really pleased with it. I never have any data charges when I am out and about. This is quite important as I effectively work for myself.

I would say take a look at the T-Mobile web site.

Helen

aeiah
May 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
yea i can see it now helen:

"hello t-mobile, im from nigeria and would like to subscribe to your telephone and internet service..."
:rolleyes:

unless you were directing it at me. i pay about £10 a month for my phone. i dont really need the internet on the move, although its nice to know that they offer packages with a 10gb limit. its a step in the right direction

SuperSon!c
May 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
but if it isnt open, you'll have to hack it and that could land you with a fine

it's also just not a good idea.