PDA

View Full Version : is it easier to be a 'windows' or 'linux' geek?

smoker
May 12th, 2008, 11:39 PM
the subject of computer geeks came up today, and i had a debate with a friend about, basically, whether it is easier to be a 'windows' or a 'linux' geek. we couldn't decide, so, use your own definitions of what constitutes a 'geek' to answer the question!:)

LaRoza
May 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
There is no such thing as a Windows geek.

Mr A Mouse
May 12th, 2008, 11:52 PM
The learning curve may not be as high in the same places, but I must courteously beg to differ.

However, I must also respectfully note that Mac was left off of the list. I used to have a picture of Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. A friend had photoshopped the Windows logo, the Mac apple, and Tux onto juggling balls and made it look like Mickey was juggling the balls. I hung the picture in my cubicle.

fissionmailed
May 12th, 2008, 11:56 PM

Yup, only Windows fanboys.

SuperSon!c
May 12th, 2008, 11:56 PM
yes, linux doesn't have fanboys. how appropriate.

LaRoza
May 12th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yup, only Windows fanboys.

I wouldn't go that far...

But Windows is a blackbox of software. You can learn how to use it, and manage it, but that isn't being a geek. Anybody could be trained to do that.

Linux and others are the real software of geeks. Geek could be good at Windows, but someone good at Windows isn't a geek. (Likewise, just using Linux isn't being a geek either)

smoker
May 13th, 2008, 12:01 AM
However, I must also respectfully note that Mac was left off of the list...

accept my apology, i'm sure there must be some around:)

LaRoza
May 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
accept my apology, i'm sure there must be some around:)

Want me to add it?

Mateo
May 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
try figuring out what the problem is when something isn't working right in windows (workgroups is what i have problems with). you have no way of knowing what the problem is. there are no logs. no command line information. you just have to guess what the problem is. so i think being a windows geek is more difficult because you have to just know from experience.

smoker
May 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Want me to add it?

go ahead:)

id1337x
May 13th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Well considering that 10% of all developers use Visual Basic I would consider those people to be "Windows Geeks." If you learn Visual Basic you can seriously edit all sorts of things on Windows and you can make your own IE distributions like Avant and Maxthon quite easily as VS.net is extremely easy to use and it is responsible for VB's success. There are more C developers then VB developers but it is unlikely that they all develop for GNU.

Perl/Python on the other hand consists of mostly Linux geeks. Java isn't really classifiable I think as it is cross-platform.

Dr Small
May 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Windows users can't be geeks, because the geek hiarchy doesn't include Windows. How on earth could you be a geek on Windows anyhow?

Geeks use *NIX

if [[ $OS != "*NIX"]]; then
echo "You are not a geek, loser!"
else
echo "GEEKS RULE!"
fi

fissionmailed
May 13th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't go that far...

But Windows is a blackbox of software. You can learn how to use it, and manage it, but that isn't being a geek. Anybody could be trained to do that.

Linux and others are the real software of geeks. Geek could be good at Windows, but someone good at Windows isn't a geek. (Likewise, just using Linux isn't being a geek either)

Yeah, I'm just sort of hhmmm yeah. After hearing two people who always sat behind me in PHYS class talk about how Vista was so great, I'm just a little hhmmm not bitter, just cynical, I guess.

smoker
May 13th, 2008, 12:25 AM
hi, LaRoza, thanks, is it also possible to change the title to 'What's the easiest geek to be' or something?
:-)

LaRoza
May 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM
hi, LaRoza, thanks, is it also possible to change the title to 'What's the easiest geek to be' or something?
:-)
Maybe I was too literal, but they'll get the picture.

smoker
May 13th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Maybe I was too literal, but they'll get the picture.

cheers:)

Mr A Mouse
May 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Windows users can't be geeks, because the geek hiarchy doesn't include Windows. How on earth could you be a geek on Windows anyhow?

Geeks use *NIX

if [[ $OS != "*NIX"]]; then
echo "You are not a geek, loser!"
else
echo "GEEKS RULE!"
fi

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/MU/P/Rel d- s+:- !a C+++ UL+>+++ P+
E- W+ N++ o? K w++ O M+ V PS++/--(varies)
Y(nunya) PGP t+ 5++ X R++ tv b+++ DI+ D G++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Ha. GEEK CODE trumps your geek code.

;)

SuperSon!c
May 13th, 2008, 01:02 AM
lol

unelemented
May 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM
being a true geek is having a windows machine so ur linux machine doesnt have to dial

Dr Small
May 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM

;)
orly ?

GC dpu s+:- a--- C++ UL++++ P L+++ E--- W++ N? o? K? w--- !O M- V-- PS---
PE-- Y+ PGP+++ t--- 5? X R- !tv b+ DI? D? G e !h !r !z

hackerkey://v4sw7HUhw6$ln4pr4Uck4ma4u7Lw2m5l6UOArch/i52e3t2b9Den7a17s0MSr5g5ACGMOPTV

SuperSon!c
May 13th, 2008, 02:08 AM
let it go..

Mr A Mouse
May 13th, 2008, 02:08 AM
"Eek! I've been out-geeked!" the mouse squeaked.

:D

Dr. C
May 13th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I voted real geeks know all.

Now the first baby step is to get this gNewSense box "Stallman" to talk to that Vista box "Ballmer"

aaaantoine
May 13th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Real geeks program their own personal OS.

zenwalker
May 13th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Well since, every thing in Linux world is open, so its pretty much easy to become geek in OSS rather than in Close source.

nikkiana
May 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Maybe it depends on what you're doing, but when I was using Windows primarily and seemed somewhat proficient at knowing what I was doing with computers, it seemed like all everyone I knew wanted to do is ask my advice on things when they broke... and really, I didn't know anything more than they did about why it was broken... I just wasn't afraid to fiddle and try to fix... and it seemed like this thankless job that I was expected to perform for my friends and family because this dumb operating system was inheretly broken and I wasn't recieving a dime or hard liquour for the service I was providing.

I don't know whether it was because I got older and better at telling people no or because I switched to Linux, but that same "You're morally obligated to fix my computer" attitude from people I know just isn't there anymore, and on the rare occasions that people that I know are truely interested in having their computer woes fixed and are willing to try open source solutions (whether it's changing the whole operating system they're using or just something small like quitting IE to use Firefox), it feels much more like a privledge rather than a burden.

And that's why I think being a Linux geek is easier. It's something that doesn't plague my conscience.

blithen
May 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Linux simply because you have to use the command line, the more you use the command line, the more of a geek you are. :P

MONODA
May 13th, 2008, 07:05 AM
lol

Actually, I have met a windows "geek". Actually, hes more of a script kiddie, which is probably the closest you can get. He brags about how he "hacks" other peoples computers and get into an argument with people about who know more about computers... such wannabies lol. (btw the stuff he says he makes up)

smoker
May 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Now the first baby step is to get this gNewSense box "Stallman" to talk to that Vista box "Ballmer"

and risk a black hole!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole
:)

SuperSon!c
May 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
nothing like a good dose of bias in this thread.

Solicitous
May 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I will have to say linux geek. When people know you're a windows person...wow time to brace yourself for stupid questions, the stress of having to help people who don't want to help themselves.
When you're a linux geek and another linux geek asks for help....well at least they've thought about the problem and are alot easier to deal with and most of all THEY LISTEN to what you have to say.

Do I sound bitter towards windows users? a little, I deal with them day in day out.

Mr A Mouse
May 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
nothing like a good dose of bias in this thread.
Bias can be fun. We can also make "throwing chairs" jokes!

smoker
May 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Bias can be fun. We can also make "throwing chairs" jokes!

someone at redmond has been stockpiling ammo:lolflag:

BDNiner
May 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Being a windows "geek" is harder than a linux geek. longer hours, unapologetic users, indepth knowledge of regedit, great formatting and repartioning skills, excellent data recovery skills, cryptic log files (although *nix log files are only slightly more informative), and having more useless information crammed into one's brain than in necessary.

arsenic23
May 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Aw, there is just some bad inforation in here. While I don't use Windows much myself, I do work on/with Windows PCs for a living, and I can tell you that there are Windows geeks ( even based on the definition of geeks we seem to be using in this thread ).

I'd say anyone who fiddled with Reshack at one time or another could be considered a windows geek. Or maybe the people who build their own streamlined windows install disks. How about the people who work on open source software for windows? Or proprietary software for that matter? What about people from the scene who race to see who can crack new software first? I'd say those are all windows geeks.

LaRoza
May 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Aw, there is just some bad inforation in here. While I don't use Windows much myself, I do work on/with Windows PCs for a living, and I can tell you that there are Windows geeks ( even based on the definition of geeks we seem to be using in this thread ).

I'd say anyone who fiddled with Reshack at one time or another could be considered a windows geek. Or maybe the people who build their own streamlined windows install disks. How about the people who work on open source software for windows? Or proprietary software for that matter? What about people from the scene who race to see who can crack new software first? I'd say those are all windows geeks.

I would say they are geeks using Windows. "Linux geek" seems to indicate the ability to understand Linux beyond user interfaces. The ability to customize a kernel for example.

Windows is just a platform for doing stuff, Linux is something you can be a geek with, not on.

Xerp
May 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I think it is a lot easier to be a Linux 'geek' because it is easier to understand Linux and the documentation is plentiful. With Windows you get nothing - the Microsoft "tech net" pages have words but no content.

ynnhoj
May 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Windows is just a platform for doing stuff, Linux is something you can be a geek with, not on.
you make it sound like "doing stuff" is a bad thing! ultimately, i think that's what the average end-user wants-- to be able to do stuff, get their job done, maybe play the odd game of freecell, all without having to know much about the inner workings of their system.

LaRoza
May 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
you make it sound like "doing stuff" is a bad thing! ultimately, i think that's what the average end-user wants-- to be able to do stuff, get their job done, maybe play the odd game of freecell, all without having to know much about the inner workings of their system.

No, it is a fact. One can use Linux, Windows OS X and others to do their work. That is their normal use. Some people can use them more in depth, however, that is not a geek.

With Windows, you cannot do more with it other than use it. With Linux, you can do anything you want.

If not being a geek is a bad thing (which is the only implication that can be made from your post and mine) that is your opinion.

Icehuck
May 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
No, it is a fact. One can use Linux, Windows OS X and others to do their work. That is their normal use. Some people can use them more in depth, however, that is not a geek.

With Windows, you cannot do more with it other than use it. With Linux, you can do anything you want.

If not being a geek is a bad thing (which is the only implication that can be made from your post and mine) that is your opinion.

I'm confused here. What can you do with Linux that is so much more then using it. I keep hearing this but never see anything pointed out to me. If I can figure out what it is, I can maybe do these other things with Linux besides use it.

ynnhoj
May 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
unfortunately, i think the assumption (by the general public) is that windows and os x can be used to do work out-of-the-box, but linux requires extra work before it can be conducive to productivity.

which is all well and good, but how much do most users really want? i understand what you're trying to say, but it seems like a pretty vague selling point for linux. this is a bit off-topic i guess, but whatev.

in any case, i would classify a person as a geek based upon an extreme level of passion or interest in windows/linux/os x, so i would certainly contend that somebody could be a "windows geek." so what if a windows user can't roll their own kernel; if they basically live and breathe windows, that's pretty geeky!

forrestcupp
May 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
It's becoming irrelevant. All OS's are becoming easy to use. A modern geek has it easier now than a common user did on the C64.

Barrucadu
May 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'm confused here. What can you do with Linux that is so much more then using it. I keep hearing this but never see anything pointed out to me. If I can figure out what it is, I can maybe do these other things with Linux besides use it.

Well, to give a very simple and common example, you can change anything. Such as installing a new window manager or desktop environment. With Windows and OS X, you are stuck with the one they decided on.

kragen
May 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM

Yeah there is, but you do have to try fairly hard to become one.

The second you mention Linux in passing you become a linux geek! :)

BDNiner
May 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Well if you are a geek then it really doesn't matter what OS you are using. someone could even throw new OSes at a geek and s/he would not miss a step.

bigbrovar
May 13th, 2008, 06:59 PM
most window users don't call themselves "dudes" so u cant call them geeks ... also most don't work with commandline, or use ssh, or compile packages .. nope its way easier to be a Linux geek..

Icehuck
May 14th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Well, to give a very simple and common example, you can change anything. Such as installing a new window manager or desktop environment. With Windows and OS X, you are stuck with the one they decided on.

You have more of a choice but at the end of the day it's still just an OS that lets you use your hardware with your software to do stuff. Which is the same function as any other OS. There really is no, "So much more" as people put it.

PartisanEntity
May 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM
It is easier to be a Linux geek because all you need to be able to do is read text files and remember some commands.

In Windows you need to be a magician who can understand the gibberish found in supposed 'settings' and 'configuration' files.

macogw
May 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM

;)

I'll see your Geek Code and raise you a Hacker Key

sw4PJUhw4ln4pr6POck1ma4u7Lw2Gm4g/l6/7Ui2e4t4WHb8DPHOMen5g4Ca19s0FIr1p-7/-6

And yeah, it's way easier to be a Linux geek. You can just read the source code and fix it yourself when some app is broken, and it's all plain text config files. Windows hides all the info needed to become a geek from the potential geek.

Captain Oblivious
May 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
X axis is effort required
Y axis is geekdom achieved.

Windows geekdom is achieved at the rate of W*ln(x)
Linux geekdom is achieved at the rate of L*e^x

In other words, with Windows, you are a negative-geek until you put *some* effort into learning it, but you quickly progress for a short time, and if you want to get any farther, it takes a lot of effort

For Linux, you start out slightly geeky, just for using it, and it's hard to learn at first (I'm still stuck in this phase), but I assume that once I get used to not having my computer control itself (and me), and me having control of my computer (and myself), (and learning the basics of troubleshooting) that it will only become easier to progress as time goes on.