PDA

View Full Version : Defection....

cespinal
May 12th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Dont get me wrong... but Im getting soooo atracted to LinuxMint... those black and glossy themes mixed with all that green make me already feel a breeze of fresh air between my teeth :lolflag:

Now, srsly!! I am reading everywhere that Linux mint is Ubuntu, just faster, simpler and sexier! Considering that I have been having fun tweaking ubuntu to fit my laptop since 2 weeks ago, I would really not mind starting over.. spacially considering Mint has GUI's for downloading drivers...

so... waddya say? should I jump off this boat??

ugm6hr
May 12th, 2008, 10:38 PM
just faster, simpler and sexier!
faster.... no.
simpler.... yes.
sexier? depends on where you're standing ;)

SuperSon!c
May 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
there's a boat?

mmb1
May 12th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Mint is just Ubuntu with some different packages and codecs preinstalled, so don't worry you're still on the Ubuntu "boat" from a technical standpoint. :wink:

Kingsley
May 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
It's Ubuntu with an obnoxious startup sound.

cespinal
May 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM

And you just dont know how much a like the congas playing in the ubuntu startup screen :P .. I max the volume so everybody at home knows im logging in :lolflag:

LaRoza
May 13th, 2008, 12:25 AM

I used to never have any speakers on my computer. I used headphones if I want to watch something on youtube or something.

Then when I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I was most surprised to hear it make sound when it starts.

ghindo
May 13th, 2008, 12:36 AM
It's Ubuntu with an obnoxious startup sound.To be honest, I don't like the Ubuntu startup sound all that much, either. On a fresh install of Ubuntu, one of the first things I do is disable it.

cardinals_fan
May 13th, 2008, 12:38 AM
So use a Mint background and be happy.

Joeb454
May 13th, 2008, 12:39 AM
To be honest, I don't like the Ubuntu startup sound all that much, either. On a fresh install of Ubuntu, one of the first things I do is disable it.

Me too, I don't like the login sound. Though the little drum beat when it's loaded the login screen I have kept.

This is because usually I turn the PC/Laptop on then walk out the room, so I know when it's booted...that said I never get very far out the room before it's done :p

forrestcupp
May 13th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Linux Mint is Ubuntu under the hood. But a couple of downers about Mint is that there is no 64-bit version, and the "Hardy" version called "Elyssa" is still in beta. So going to Mint is kind of back tracking.

It may be faster at getting things set up, but it's not any faster once everything is set up. Also, Ubuntu has progressed to the point that it's about as easy to get everything working as Mint is.

Personally, I don't see the point in going to all of that work just for a theme. The only thing really cool about it is the way they set the menu up.

blithen
May 13th, 2008, 05:16 AM
sexier? depends on where you're standing ;)

VERY true. right now I love my desktop. :D

swoll1980
May 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM
As far as that goes you can install mint themes and the mint menu on Ubuntu if I'm not mistaken. They are both good distros the only reason I even choose one over the other is the release cycle, because mint is based on Ubuntu it's couple months behind in the releases.

the yawner
May 13th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I say if it works for you then go ahead. I tried one of its versions last year and brought it back to Ubuntu in a few days. Because they used a different approach to some things that I find better in Ubuntu.

Puptentacle
May 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I've played with it. It's purty and all, but why switch if you are happy. I'm sure if you enjoyed the setup process (so do I, by the way) you can find something to break or tweak to keep you happy! :biggrin:

MONODA
May 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM
i would go for it and if you dont like it, then just install ubuntu over it. Linux mint it nice, i like it a bit more than ubuntu. I like the mint updator and I like how it comes with apt-on cd by default. Accourding to SunnyRabb....(I cant remember his name) the linux mint team fixes bugs that ubuntu misses, but I doubt it.

jrusso2
May 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I am planning on installing Mint when their Hardy Version is complete. I find it to be much nicer then Ubuntu. Its like they took most of what I wanted Ubuntu to change and did it.

If it came with the nvidia drivers installed it would be perfect.

cespinal
May 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I am planning on installing Mint when their Hardy Version is complete. I find it to be much nicer then Ubuntu. Its like they took most of what I wanted Ubuntu to change and did it.

If it came with the nvidia drivers installed it would be perfect.

yes... that would be definitely a plus...

btw I just installed emerald and now THIS looks hot :lolflag:.. guess im staying here a little bit longer :P