PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] laptop pcmcia WIFI

matt91
May 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have a laptop in which i want to run Ubuntu on however I am having wifi problems. First of all a great job has been done with 8.04, the laptop will now run Ubuntu out of the box with graphics, audio and proper track-pad support.
I currently have a Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card (F5D7010uk). I can get it installed with the ndiswrapper and the windows driver and will connect to the network, however it will intermitantly disconnect, if connect at all when encryption (WPA or WPE) is enabled. I cannot run without encryption. Is their any way to get this running, possibly with proper linux drivers? ... Or can you recommend any cheap linux-compatible network cards?

Thanks, Matt

matt91
May 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Anybody? Would rather buy a new one which works with linux without any driver installation. my Budget is up to 20

Thanks

matt91
May 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
*bump*

Any recommendations? I have looked at the supported hardware however is is difficult to tell what I will get because some use different chipsets on different revisions.

prshah
May 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I am having wifi problems.

I currently have a Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card (F5D7010uk). will connect to the network, however it will intermitantly disconnect

Maybe a power saving issue? You can disable power management for the wireless card with the command
sudo iwconfig eth1 power off and check if it makes a difference.

Replace "eth1" with the actual wireless interface in your notebook.

matt91
May 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Thank you, that has worked. I have also reduced the WPA key to a shorter key to make it faster.