PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Build A Desktop Computer Please

tdrusk
May 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I want a new Desktop computer. I have a decent laptop that get's the job done, but I need something that can haul *** where *** needs hauling. I enjoy playing games, but have never really ventured into gaming on Ubuntu. I do know that there are many games available.

I went on Dell.com and looked into the Ubuntu Desktop. After customizing I found it would cost me ~$650.

PROCESSOR Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E2180 (1MB, 2.00GHz, 800FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Ubuntu Linux version 7.10 with DVD Playback edit
MONITORS 19 inch S199WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor with TrueLife* edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW Drive edit
VIDEO CARD nVidia GeForce 8300GS 128MB edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included edit

My friend told me I could build one for so much cheaper. I believe him, so I am asking my good friends at UF to help me.

I want a good computer, not average, good.

I want it to be snappy. I want everything to open fast and run fast.

I would need the complete system (tower, monitor, etc)

I plan to run Ubuntu on it. I also checked system 76, and for basically the same machine it cost about $200 more.

Walmart has a dell inspiron 531, 2 gig of ram, 160 gb hd, and an amd processor (AMD Sempron) (I didn't get the specific model). It's only $500 with everything. Should I get that?

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

So, should I build it?

PS: The only reason I want to buy the computers with Ubuntu preinstalled is because they obviously will work with Ubuntu.

madjr
May 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM
i only purchase Dell monitors, tower and laptops because they look good, are compatible and the guarantee is great.

if you don't care too much for the guarantee then build your own.

tdrusk
May 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
i only purchase Dell monitors, tower and laptops because they look good, are compatible and the guarantee is great.

if you don't care too much for the guarantee then build your own.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Madman6510
May 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
If you want a "good" computer, it WILL cost more than $650, expecially if you want a monitor to come with it. For "good", look for 1K and up.

tdrusk
May 13th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I can get this

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8200 (6MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1333FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive edit
VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON HD 2400 XT 256MB edit
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included edit
MODEM No Modem Option edit

for $589.

We have a monitor at my house.
I fear the ATI card, do they work with Ubuntu?

Anything else stand out?

Moop
May 13th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Building your own will give you a better PC and alot of satisfaction. I was recently looking for parts to build one for a friend and ran across this article on a $750 PC. Also check out his other article on a $1500 PC. It will give you some ideas. http://www.blastprocessing.net/?p=200

Edit: I should have mentioned that the price includes a monitor.

tdrusk
May 13th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Building your own will give you a better PC and alot of satisfaction. I was recently looking for parts to build one for a friend and ran across this article on a $750 PC. Also check out his other article on a $1500 PC. It will give you some ideas. http://www.blastprocessing.net/?p=200

Edit: I should have mentioned that the price includes a monitor.

I think I can still get off cheaper not building one and using Dell. I know very little about processors. How does that processor in the $750 one compare to the one selected?

How does ATI go with Ubuntu?