PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Error 15: file not found

Spaceman9
May 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Okay, I've been using Ubuntu 7.04 and I'm trying to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04. The install of 8.04 went fine from the live cd. When I tried to reboot the system GRUB started to load and I got this message

Error 15: file not found
press any key to continue...

I installed 8.04 on the same drive I had 7.04 on. Do I need to delet everything on the hard drive first?

I used "use entire disk" for 7.04 and 8.04. The disk is my boot drive. I also have a second drive on that cable and also an IDE card with my backup drive on that card. I don't have ******* on my puter and Ubuntu is the only OS installed.

Thankx for any help.

Pumalite
May 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
This might help:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#15

Spaceman9
May 13th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Thankx for the help Pumalite. I was reading the page you gave me a link to when I thought of a different way.

I have just 3 hard drives so I unplugged the cable and power from drive 2 and 3 and tried installing Ubuntu 8.04 again. It worked! I didn't have the Error 15 boot problem.

Then I hooked up the cable and power to drive 2 and booted my computer and Ubuntu saw the drive with no problems. Cept I had to change permissions to access the files of course. Then I hooked up the cable and power to drive 3 and that works too. I found krusader is great for changing permissions.

This probably isn't the way most people would do it but it worked.

Pumalite
May 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Congrats!