PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nothing changed after install on second partition with xp (8.04)

h4lfl1ng
May 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM
My Hard drive setup for the install:

hdd

XP PRO - ntfs(50%)

/ - ext3 (45%)

/boot - ext3 (2.5%)

swap - ext3 (2.5%)

I just installed ubuntu 8.04 with that setup. I had xp installed previously. Now the setup finished with no problems but all get is my old bootup screen for xp.. no ubuntu boot screen. What am I doing wrong?

h4lfl1ng
May 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM
bump! i just tried it again and this time i clicked "advanced" on the last settings window and it has a bootloader option, i set it to the same partition as the install, it didnt do anything.. should i set it to the /boot partition?

prshah
May 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
My Hard drive setup for the install:
I just installed ubuntu 8.04 with that setup. I had xp installed previously.

Did you remember to turn off virus protection in the BIOS (may also be called "Boot sector protection"; "Write protect boot sector"; "disallow boot sector changes", etc) _before_ install ?

Check the BIOS for the relevant setting, and, if in fact it doesn't allow change to the boot sector, toggle the setting so that you can make changes to the boot sector, then you should download and use a CD called "Super Grub CD" or something similar, or re-install GRUB using the live CD.

h4lfl1ng
May 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM
i have the phoenix workstationBios v6.00PG and i dont see any settings of that nature.. i also looked at my manual and nothing in there either http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/lputnf4%20847505101.pdf

what else could it be? i've installed ubuntu on this system before (v6 and 7)

h4lfl1ng
May 31st, 2008, 12:32 PM
bump? anyone?