PDA

View Full Version : Safe to use laptop without screen?

teet
May 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
The screen on my laptop died. I tried replacing the ccfl bulb but that didn't work so I ordered a "new" inverter. It's still in the mail.

My problem is that I have to take two 9 hour exams which require the use of a computer. Is it safe to go ahead and use the bottom-half of my laptop and have it hooked up to an external LCD? The entire screen including the power inverter for the screen would not be attached (it's broken anyway) so I don't think there would be a problem. Just wanted to double-check before I did something potentially stupid.

-teet

NilsE
May 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I recently dropped my laptop (long story) and it wiped out my screen, DVD drive, and a lot of plastic. It did however work with an external display since the mother board and drive were fine.

Bottom line is I used it with a docking station and external display for 3 days in work waiting for the parts to come in. I also used it at home with an RGB cable on my TV.

Just keep the lid closed and you will be fine.

Rhubarb
May 12th, 2008, 05:44 PM
That should work fine, I've done exactly that myself on one of my laptops here with a broken screen.
A friend of mine is running a laptop with the screen completely removed from it - the external monitor works fine.

I would suggest you test this for yourself, just to be sure it works for your exam.

gn2
May 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I have done the same in the past when an inverter died, it didn't cause any problems.
I just left the faulty inverter and screen connected and the laptop booted OK.
Even with a failed inverter you can sometimes make out the screen if you look at it from the side.
If there's nothing at all showing it might be something worse than an inverter failure.
Chances are it won't be, 99% of laptop screen problems are failed inverters.

teet
May 12th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Just keep the lid closed and you will be fine.

I have actually completely detached the screen from the laptop (you have to tear the screen apart to get to the ccfl bulb...it's a pain).

Thanks everybody for your quick replies! I will give it a try later on :)

-teet