PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice 2.0.0 final out!

topcop
October 19th, 2005, 11:28 PM
ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/mirror/OpenOffice/stable/2.0.0/

:)

tseliot
October 19th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Are you sure it's not a Release Candidate (RC)?

benplaut
October 19th, 2005, 11:50 PM
whoa... that's... sudden!

if it's true

Sirin
October 19th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Check out their official website.

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's just a hoax. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

BWF89
October 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM
You had me all excited when you said that. Oh well, atleast Firefox 1.5 will be coming out later this month.

topcop
October 20th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Check out their official website.

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's just a hoax. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon12.gif
No its not necessarily a hoax, the announcement may come later, a lot of times a RC is labeled as a final if its stable. if you check this is the stable folder, RC is in another folder here: ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/mirror/OpenOffice/contrib/rc/2.0.0rc3/

and they seem to be the same size so infact RC3 may be labelled as final

MakubeX
October 20th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I have a team which is building/recompiling OO 2.0 Beta source for my university..

We are monitoring this site: http://blog.janik.cz/archives/cat_1.html

So is that it? I can't wait to get the source! rofl.

Lovechild
October 20th, 2005, 01:43 AM
To late, I switched to GNOME Office, it's faster, prettier and provides me with the features I need. Now all I need is a presenter application, crawips looks promising.

Goober
October 20th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Just wondering, will the Ubuntu Update thingie (the little red button that comes up when there are Updates) have the Udate for OOo2 for us to just DL and install automatically when it comes out? Or will we have to do it through the Command Line or Synaptic?

What about Firefox 1.5?

Lovechild
October 20th, 2005, 02:38 AM
OpenOffice might be a tad bit to update in deployed and tested environments - backports might carry it, if you bribe jdong I guess.

jdong
October 20th, 2005, 02:51 AM
OpenOffice might be a tad bit to update in deployed and tested environments - backports might carry it, if you bribe jdong I guess.

The chances of Ubuntu releasing official breezy-updates for Openoffice are slim to impossible.

As far as Backports, this depends on many factors:

(1) The opening of the Dapper Tree
(2) How long it takes the devs to upload 2.0 to Dapper
(3) Whether or not that will compile well under Breezy
(3a) The time to accept/review patches towards the successful backporting of Openoffice
(4) How stable the compiled package will be.

Again, the incentive to update has to be measured -- are the last few bugfixes trickling in worth the man-hours in backporting and (more significantly) maintaining the backports against security fixes and such? Only time will tell :)

benplaut
October 20th, 2005, 03:38 AM
any way to backport a patch, or does the entire behemoth have to be uploaded?

jdong
October 20th, 2005, 03:53 AM
any way to backport a patch, or does the entire behemoth have to be uploaded?
whole thing... we don't have the architecture to generate differential patches ("hotfixes"), unlike SuSE's deltarpms.

fsman
October 20th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Why wouldn't 2.0 final be issued as part of the standard distribution a la firefox going 1.05 - 1.07?

The difference between the version supplied by the offical breezy and final will be bug fixes so surely. Given that the reason OOo delayed was due to a major bug I would hope that Breezy is updated to avoid showstoppers identified by OO.

If Ubuntu is going to make it as a desktop replacement, then a fully functional office suite is going to be essential.

GeneralZod
October 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM
whole thing... we don't have the architecture to generate differential patches ("hotfixes"), unlike SuSE's deltarpms.

Just out of interest, do you happen to know if Ubuntu has any plans to incorporate this kind of technology into future releases? I know it is would be a major change, but developing nations that have only slow dial-up connections could benefit greatly from it.

UbuWu
October 20th, 2005, 04:33 PM
It is now official on th http://www.openoffice.org front site. Also a nice read:
http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=5370

Lovechild
October 20th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Just out of interest, do you happen to know if Ubuntu has any plans to incorporate this kind of technology into future releases? I know it is would be a major change, but developing nations that have only slow dial-up connections could benefit greatly from it.

It's not my impression that Debian has this kind of functionality on the drawing board - and I'm told the SuSE delta rpm patch is really ugly so I'm betting that's why.

Sad for people in the developing world without broadband, but if that's a general issue bundling tested upgrade CDs might be an option.. that's a nice little project for someone.

Hg80
October 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Nice to see its offical, been using beta version with no problems

Master Shake
October 20th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Is it in the repositories yet? If so, I know what I'm doing tonight. :)

poofyhairguy
October 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Why wouldn't 2.0 final be issued as part of the standard distribution a la firefox going 1.05 - 1.07?

The difference between the version supplied by the offical breezy and final will be bug fixes so surely. Given that the reason OOo delayed was due to a major bug I would hope that Breezy is updated to avoid showstoppers identified by OO.

If Ubuntu is going to make it as a desktop replacement, then a fully functional office suite is going to be essential.

Firefox was upgraded for security problems, not bug fixes. Outside of backports, applications are only updated in Ubuntu because of security problems.

Unless the new version fixes a security flaw, I can almost promise you won't see the final version in the main Breezy repo. But its ok, the version included works fine and Dapper is only six months away and it WILL have the newest OO.org.

By the way, what is Ubuntu a replacement for?

jdong
October 20th, 2005, 09:26 PM

No, I don't know of any plans. I do know they plan to switch .debs over from gzip compression to bzip2 compression, which definitely reduces sizes of packages significantly.

As a SuSE user, too, I do agree with you that delta packages are very valuable for updates -- an OOo security patch that's 80MB under Ubuntu is fixed in SuSE as a 500KB patch.

The complicity of implementing this on Ubuntu shoudn't be that bad -- just some more work at the apt-get level (dpkg+1 level abstraction)

bugmenot
October 23rd, 2005, 06:15 PM
I think this aspect of debianess (no updates, and even if someone actually does it, it's friggin big) is what ubuntu should drop first (i heard they are going to be binary incompatible anyway). Those things are of much more consequence to desktop users than LVM and the like.
It has happened to firefox, now it happens to OOo. I think it might kill the whole project, especially in the light of SuSE going open.
I mean, come on, desktop replacement with beta office software that was delayed because of a bug?
I don't think so.
And as a developer I'd like to add that the java support leaves much to be desired, GCJ is not something a serious project can put up with.
GCJ is not better for running up-to-date Java apps (which will be using Swing) than mono is for Windows.Forms (=bad, hardly ever runs).
Also the sound in UT needs to be fixed. But I disgress.

poofyhairguy
October 23rd, 2005, 06:28 PM
I think this aspect of debianess (no updates, and even if someone actually does it, it's friggin big) is what ubuntu should drop first (i heard they are going to be binary incompatible anyway).

1. We have backports.

2. Many Ubuntu users have broadband.