PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Font rendering broken in Hardy

dmik
May 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM
After upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy, I noticed that font rendering is no more consistent across gnome-terminal, Qt3/Qt4 apps and all other GTK apps.

See is the attached screenshot to get what I mean. Here are some comments:

All text "Quick Brown Fox..." is written using DejaVu Sans Mono 10pt everywhere.
All GTK apps render fonts perfectly as before (e.g. as in Gutsy).
Qt3/Qt4 apps obviously use a different rasterizer. You can see that anti-aliasing is more "dirty" and "noisy" and hinting doesn't work properly for DejaVu Sans (look at the poor Qt3/Qt4 dialog font)
The gnome-terminal's font is bigger than it should be and anti-aliasing is more "dirty" and "noisy" (compare to gedit).

If it's important, I have the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 video and use the latest (installed by Hardy) binary driver from ATI.

DPI is set to 96 everywhere (checked using xdpyinfo, xrdb, gconftool --get /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi).

In Gutsy, all four examples above would show the identical size and shape of DeajVu Sans Mono (and other fonts), which looked like in gedit. (I'm not 100% sure about anti-aliasing in Qt, but 100% sure about gnome-terminal).

Is there any chance to get identical font rendering everywhere?