PDA

View Full Version : making mybuntu

songshu
May 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
just a question here,

is there a need for better documentation and a uniform way for remastering the installation cd and rebranding the artwork etc...
basically creating new distro's within the ubuntu framework.

i experienced a hurdle here when trying to achieve just this,
preseeding was trial an error using old debian documentation as was customising the cd itself, and i did not even come to the artwork yet.

not that i want to become shuttleworth II and distibute my own iso's on the web, but i need it since the normal live and alternate cd are simply not suitable for the way i want to deploy it
asking questions i already know but my end-users not, timezone? partitioning?
same with the package selection etc.... synaptic is a great tool, but the office users i install it for have no clue what openoffice.org-gtk is for or why they would need it.

the rebranded artwork i actually could do without but i'm sure people there will be people who want to make there own theme and put it on their PPA, it would also make it easier for comming releases where "more arty but less technical" users can make a nice new proposal.

i know there is remastersys and such and its a nice tool, but it has its limitations in its approach.

first of all, is there already something like that going and did i just simply mis this?

second, if not would there be people interested and have suggestions on how to do this and willing to help making a nice set of new wiki pages?