PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media to raise fibre-network capacity fourfold

ubuntu-freak
May 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Source (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39414739,00.htm)

As web users' thirst for bandwidth soars, cable broadband purveyor Virgin Media is looking to squeeze four times the capacity out of its optical network, but without the expense of ripping out and upgrading its fibre.

The trend for online video content and popular bandwidth-heavy applications, such as the BBC's iPlayer, has led to concerns among ISPs that their infrastructure will soon be creaking under the strain.

But now Virgin Media — which, with its 20Mbps service, already offers the fastest broadband speeds in the UK and has a 50Mbps rollout planned for this year — has completed a trial of bandwidth-boosting kit which increased capacity on its long-haul 10G network fourfold.

Networking giant Nortel's 40/100G Adaptive Optics Engine was tested on a 217-mile length of Virgin's optical network between London and Manchester, and successfully carried 40G traffic, according to the two companies.

Following the trial — the first of its kind in the UK, according to Nortel — Virgin is now looking to deploy the optimising kit, which would position it as the first UK operator to offer 40G wavelength services between UK locations, the companies said.

Daniel Hennessy, director of technical architecture at Virgin Media, said in a statement: "Our aim for this trial was to ensure we continue to meet the growing capacity needs of the high-speed services we deliver and provide a quality experience for Virgin Media customers."

"Our strategic suppliers have demonstrated very clearly how existing network assets can be scaled to meet the growth in demand associated with evolving customer behaviour and step changes in the products provided as part of our high-speed broadband proposition," Hennessy added.

"Perhaps we will have truly "unlimited" internet access someday", added Nathan.

aeiah
May 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
its just a shame they'll throttle you for using it to its potential ;)

20mbit isnt the fastest in the uk either, although that's the authors error not yours of course.

akiratheoni
May 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Don't forget that the Virgin Media CEO says that net neutrality is a "load of ********" and that they're already making deals to get faster speeds from some providers:

http://torrentfreak.com/virgin-media-ceo-says-net-neutrality-is-a-load-of-********-080413/

So even if the speed if faster, it doesn't matter if they've slowed down your favorite websites and sped up other ones that you don't care about.

aeiah
May 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
aye and with this extra speed, just imagine how quick those phorm targetted adverts will fly onto your favourite websites

ubuntu-freak
May 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I guess it will all sort itself out in the end, it's inevitable. What are BT gonna do? They don't seem to have any major plans.

Nathan

fatality_uk
May 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
pff 50mb/s. Might as well just dust of my 56k modem.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7202396.stm
Now were talking ;)

Half-Left
May 12th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I use Virgin and they are not good, I'm still on 2Mb and the rest get 8Mb as standard and half of my bandwidth gets cut during peak hours.

fatality_uk
May 12th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I was on Virgin broadband. The contention ratio was appauling. During peak hours, my speed could drop to anything around 254k, this for an 8mb service. After just 6 weeks I ditched it and went with BT. Then Virign sent me a bill for £50 as a cancellation fee. The nerve!!

ubuntu-freak
May 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I was on Virgin broadband. The contention ratio was appauling. During peak hours, my speed could drop to anything around 254k, this for an 8mb service. After just 6 weeks I ditched it and went with BT. Then Virign sent me a bill for £50 as a cancellation fee. The nerve!!

PlusNet is good apparently. Completely unlimited downloads between 00:00 and 08:00 as well.

Nathan

smoker
May 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
aye and with this extra speed, just imagine how quick those phorm targetted adverts will fly onto your favourite websites

so true:confused: