PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 7.10 Synaptic not working anymore

Kai01/W
May 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I cant launch the package/update manager anymore. It throws the following error:

E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status, E:Die Paketliste oder die Statusdatei konnte nicht geparst oder geöffnet werden

Its a german ubuntu The last line translates to:
E:The package list or statusfile could not be parsed or opened.
I've googled the web and I think it might have something to do with translations / language. I already tried apt-get clean, etc.
Any ideas?
Thanks

-k

bapoumba
May 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
You could try to replace /var/lib/dpkg/status with /var/lib/dpkg/status-old (rename /var/lib/dpkg/status to something else before). Please see this bug: 160609

Kai01/W
May 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
You could try to replace /var/lib/dpkg/status with /var/lib/dpkg/status-old (rename /var/lib/dpkg/status to something else before). Please see this bug: 160609

Thanks but it did not help. Got the same error message. I guess even my old status file is corrupt? No idea how I managed to do that. But I think your link brought me on the right track. I edited the status file and right at the beginning there was some garbage. I kicked that one out and now its a different error message:

E: Kann Paketdatei /var/lib/dpkg/status nicht parsen (1)
E: Die Paketlisten oder die Status-Datei konnte nicht geöffnet oder eingelesen werden.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I read something about cache issues on the net but adding a line in /etc/apt/apt.conf as suggested did not help (that seemed to apply to an older ubuntu version?)

-k

bapoumba
May 12th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks but it did not help. Got the same error message. I guess even my old status file is corrupt? No idea how I managed to do that. But I think your link brought me on the right track. I edited the status file and right at the beginning there was some garbage. I kicked that one out and now its a different error message:

I read something about cache issues on the net but adding a line in /etc/apt/apt.conf as suggested did not help (that seemed to apply to an older ubuntu version?)

-k
Please look again in the status file for some other errors.

What did you add in the /etc/apt/apt.conf ?

I'm searching with the errors. I suppose that now you have just the second error line from the first post ? (sorry, I do not speak German, and English wording brings up pages I can read..).

Kai01/W
May 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Please look again in the status file for some other errors.
I will. its just a really long file, so I#m not sure i will find all errors.

What did you add in the /etc/apt/apt.conf ?

I found a page somewhere on the net where on a similar problem it was suggested to raise the cache limit with an entry in that file. I did not have that file anyway and had to create one so I'm not sure if that may applied to an older ubuntu version. In any case I deleted that file again. Just to make sure I am not causing additional problems. Deleting it did not change my error message whatsoever.

I'm searching with the errors. I suppose that now you have just the second error line from the first post ? (sorry, I do not speak German, and English wording brings up pages I can read..).

Ok thats the message I get now:

E: Kann Paketdatei /var/lib/dpkg/status nicht parsen (1)
E: Die Paketlisten oder die Status-Datei konnte nicht geöffnet oder eingelesen werden.

When I translate the first two lines:
E: Cannot parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
E: The package lists or status file could not be opened or read.

the first two german lines seem to me like some rather generic error message...

thanks

-k

heysmithy
December 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
having a similar problem. Anybody ever find a solution for this?

Kevbert
December 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Please try this in terminal:

cd /var/lib/dpkg
sudo mv status status-bad
sudo cp status-old status
sudo apt-get update

It looks like your package status file has been corrupted.