PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] grey screen after login and splash screen

cazmatazzz
May 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
hello, after upgrading to hardy on an old computer (256 mbram) i ran into the following problem. i can boot up and get to the computer login screen, after logging in the splash screen (with the xubuntu running mouse) comes after which the screen goes a light shade of grey blank.

i had this problem before and it turned out to be a problem with selecting the wrong session in the log in screen. now this does not seem to be the problem.

however, in the grey screen i am for example still able to use alt+f2 and run programs such as evolution. the entire menu and background seem to have disappeared and the mouse button doesnt work either.

i have looked through various forums and thought it might be a graphics problem, because there also is a large black bar at the side of the screen

if anyone can help me that would be great, it seems a lot of people seem to be experiencing 'grey screen' problems.

hermes0710
May 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I suggest creating a new user and login to see if this keeps happening. If not then probably some settings stored in your home folder from previous release keep messing up hardy

cazmatazzz
May 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
how do i create a new user? i can only use terminal in xterm safe mode

cazmatazzz
May 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
also when i enter grub before login there are five options i can choose from, two safemodes of the same version, two normal modes of the same version and on memtest

Jarramundi
May 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I am also having the same problem, my desktop is gone replaced by a blank grey screen. but, when I try to fix broken packages in recovery mode, it says it can't resolve www.medibuntu.com or something, but there is no mention of medibuntu in my /etc/apt/sources.list, so why is it trying to source packages there? I need to sort this out, I am stuck working with a windows machine while my ubuntu is down, which I hate. Please help!

rotundrory
December 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I have been using Hardy for several months now, but a few days ago, I got stuck on this gray screen that is normally only up for a 1 or 2 seconds when I log in.

This all started when Rhythmbox tried to play what I guess was a corrupted mp3, causing Ubuntu to freeze up. When I restarted, I got an unmoving gray screen.

When I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, I see that there is some error with GNOME Display Manager (duh), and then I get the following output over and over.

[Please note the numbers in brackets I've written on the left are in this instance random and are strictly increasing from one line to the next.]

[39.58784] ata1.00: status: {DRDY ERR}
[39.59125] ata1.00: error: {UNC}
[39.59230] ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
[39.59598] ata1.00: BMDA stat 0x25
[39.59125] ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:4e:e6:2c/00:00:00:00:00/e6 tag 0 dma 4096 in

Again, these error messages repeat, and I'm unable to enter any commands.

A single time, I was able to Ctrl-Alt-F7 it, and my desktop picture came up, but I wasn't able to do anything.

I can log in with the "safe terminal" mode. After an inconsistent amount of time, though, I've noticed that sort of freezing up.

Someone help me, because Windows is awful.

HELP!

rotundrory
December 16th, 2008, 10:06 PM
HELP!

fyi this still applies

Diecutter
December 17th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I am also getting a GRAY or blank screen after successfully logging in. This is my first eXPerience with UBUNTU 8.10 and I'm trying very hard to stay positive about this O/S. I've done a fresh install of Ubuntu a couple of times but I get the same result, it's the only O/S on my machine. I've checked the distribution disk for errors and it's clean. I'm using an HP Evo DC5000SFF desktop (100% dedicated to Ubuntu) 2GB of Ram, 80GB HDD. Any help????

Thanks
Blair

mrbiggbrain
December 17th, 2008, 06:47 AM
adding a user via the terminal

sudo useradd newusername
sudo passwd newusername

you will of course need to know the root password to do this, or on ubuntu, the password of a high privileged user.

mrbiggbrain
December 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I am also getting a GRAY or blank screen after successfully logging in. This is my first eXPerience with UBUNTU 8.10 and I'm trying very hard to stay positive about this O/S. I've done a fresh install of Ubuntu a couple of times but I get the same result, it's the only O/S on my machine. I've checked the distribution disk for errors and it's clean. I'm using an HP Evo DC5000SFF desktop (100% dedicated to Ubuntu) 2GB of Ram, 80GB HDD. Any help????

Thanks
Blair

have you tried using failsafe mode? does this work or not? did u ever get anything other then a grey box? or is this all you have recived since installing.

pieje
November 11th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Sorry to bump up this old thread, but I have this problem after restarting xubuntu 1.10 for the third time.

matiash
December 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hi, just press ctrl+alt+F2 then type sudo apt-get install xfce4-panel, then reboot, then install from software center xfce desktop and reboot again.