PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Nautilus displays partition sizes instead of mount point names

larryni
May 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Before Hardy Nautilus used to display the names of the partitions as specified in fstab in the Places side pane, e.g. 'sda1'. Now it only displays the partition sizes, e.g. '300 GB Media'. I get back to the old way?

chunchengch
May 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
1. make the corresponding directory in /media for the partition/media you want to mount and to display in the Nautilus side pane, for example, /media/sda1 for /dev/sda1 (300 GB Media).

2. confirm your file system and then type the command to set the new label,

for ext2/ext3 :

$ sudo e2label /dev/sda1 sda1

for reiserfs :

$ sudo reiserfstune -l sda1 /dev/sda1

larryni
May 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I was able to change the label on just one partition. I keep getting the following message on the partitions of my 2 other drives:

e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

I did have problems with the boot loader installing properly and had to edit grub manually. Could this have something to do with it?

larryni
May 13th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Actually, changing the label of the partition didn't change my original problem. Places still shows the partition size and not the label I assigned it, even after logging off/on.

Awalton
May 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Should try restarting. I believe the HAL stuff for persistent mounts only updates on reboot/explicit restart of hald, but I'm not a HAL expert (and, quite frankly, I don't think anyone is these days...)

I'm definitely getting the correct labels here anyways (for ext3, fat32 and reiser volumes). Otherwise it could be a bug in gvfs-hal.