PDA

View Full Version : Considering OpenSuse 11 beta 2

vishzilla
May 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I am considering installing OpenSuse on my 2nd machine. I heard good reviews on the latest beta. Should I wait for the final release or install it right away?

Erunno
May 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Well, I'd check Novell's bugzilla and see whether you are potentially affected by one of the bugs discovered during beta 2 or earlier. If you are not really into writing and tracking bug reports I'd probably wait until the final is out.

Plus, beta 3 is scheduled for release tomorrow (13. May 2008).

Incense
May 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
In my experience, openSUSE betas have always been rough to work with. I generally wait until the RC to really consider replacing my current install with the new version. Of course, we could always use more folks to report bugs so the GM is nice and pretty. ;)

As was already suggested, check the current bug reports (Especially this (http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:Most_Annoying_Bugs_11.0_dev)page) and if you can deal with them, then go for it. We're still about 6 weeks away from the final release though, and 10.3 is still happy and stable.

vishzilla
May 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Ok...I don't want to risk. I will wait. Really, OpenSuse is looking good. Good to know they have fixed the Package Management

SlayerMan
May 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I just test-drove beta2 and I must say: wow. Really, their implementation of KDE4 runs circles around anything Kubuntu or other KDE-centric distros have put out so far. And I encountered only very few bugs, though I have to admit beta2 is not yet stable enough for production-level usage.

Incense
May 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I'm running beta 3 with KDE 3.5.9, and it is wonderful. There is just something very cool about running
zypper in package_name from Konsole and not having to wait 5 mins for the repos to load. Things are looking very nice.