PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Removing a Dual Boot and then some

tikimcfee
May 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Hello all,

I have been having a great time with Ubuntu for a week or two now, and now that I've gotten the hang of most of what I want to try in Linux, I am trying to find a way to remove a dual boot with GRUB, and make both drives bootable by themselves. I would think it would be simple, but it seems I goofed during installation, and can't find a fix after many google searches and Ubuntu Forum searches.

I have Ubuntu (Hardy, if needed) installed on a USB hard drive, and my Windows installation on my Laptop's installed drive. It seems that when I installed, I let the GRUB loader install on the laptop's drive, which means that GRUB errors out with all manners of errors if the USB Ubuntu installation isn't attached. I found a few ways to remove the GRUB installation and let windows take over, but then my Ubuntu installation wouldn't be saved (or so I think). So, is there some way to make both of these installations bootable (Windows by itself without GRUB, etc.) and if I have the USB drive plugged it, in will boot? My laptop supports USB booting, so I just need to make it...yeah, you get the picture.

Thanks very much for any help!

tikimcfee
May 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Whoops, please lock this thread or delete it... it seems I should have looked a little harder!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3995006#post3995006