PDA

View Full Version : Why?

alejandro.mc
May 12th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Hey before anyone sends any regards to my family, I just want to say I'm asking simply because I'm an ignorant!

So maybe someone could help me.

"Hardy Heron Alpha 6 is the sixth and final alpha release of Ubuntu 8.04"

So before the Alpha 6 there were 5 more Alpha releases?
Where there any lock ups detected in those previous alpha releases?
How is it possible for a final release to come out with such a monumental lock up error?
Has something similar occur in previous Ubuntu releases?
How is it possible for such a monumental lock up conveniently occur without leaving any traces, and without having pattern at all (or almost no pattern believed to be exist)?
Should we be suspicious of anything or anyone, or I'm simply a paranoid i****?
How much time do you think it's going to take to solve it?
Am I saying too many stupidities?
Am I getting banned for this? =)

Bye thanks!
Hope you understand I'm kind of asking and joking at the same time. I've been using Ubuntu since Feisty (I know it's not so much, but it seemed a lot to me!) and I'm really happy and I'm never going back to the shadows of Mr. Gates!

tamoneya
May 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM
first of all while alpha 6 is the 6th release it is NOT the final.

So before the Alpha 6 there were 5 more Alpha releases? yes
Where there any lock ups detected in those previous alpha releases? some
How is it possible for a final release to come out with such a monumental lock up error? not really some people have had problems but they are much better now
Has something similar occur in previous Ubuntu releases? not from what ive seen
How is it possible for such a monumental lock up conveniently occur without leaving any traces, and without having pattern at all (or almost no pattern believed to be exist)? There isnt a big problem
Should we be suspicious of anything or anyone, or I'm simply a paranoid i****? There is nothing wrong with being suspicious but Ubuntu Hardy Heron is pretty sage
How much time do you think it's going to take to solve it? What is broken?
Am I saying too many stupidities? Ive seen much worse.
Am I getting banned for this? =) No not at all. We are here to help.

EDIT: I think you are referring to the thread that says not to download hardy heron because of lockups. From what I can tell it is a small portion of users and also it is mainly from upgrading to 8.04 from 7.10. Clean installs seem to be much stabler

alejandro.mc
May 12th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Hey thanks for replying. Although I'm still a bit confused.

Note: I'm using caps simply so that you can read my answers easily, it does not mean I'm shouting at all. If disturbs I'll be happy to change it!

Just in case you are wondering I'm referring to this lockuo:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765510

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/209830

So before the Alpha 6 there were 5 more Alpha releases? yes. Thanks.
Where there any lock ups detected in those previous alpha releases? some. I mean this kind, not any kind.
How is it possible for a final release to come out with such a monumental lock up error? not really some people have had problems but they are much better now. The people having this lockups are not better nox. There is currently no solution to it.
Has something similar occur in previous Ubuntu releases? not from what ive seen. Thanks!
How is it possible for such a monumental lock up conveniently occur without leaving any traces, and without having pattern at all (or almost no pattern believed to be exist)? There isnt a big problem. No, you are not having a big problem.
Should we be suspicious of anything or anyone, or I'm simply a paranoid i****? There is nothing wrong with being suspicious but Ubuntu Hardy Heron is pretty sage. Thanks!
How much time do you think it's going to take to solve it? What is broken? Well what I just told you.
Am I saying too many stupidities? Ive seen much worse. This one made me laugh so bad, thanks!
Am I getting banned for this? =) No not at all. We are here to help. That's the Ubuntu spirit

Thanks for replying!

Bye!

tamoneya
May 12th, 2008, 06:08 AM
It doesnt seem like it should be necessary for me to read that thread to you then since you have found it. If you are very worried about Hardy Heron lockups you can still install the older version(7.10) and monitor the thread to see when they have resolved it and then upgrade. Personally I have not seen any of these problems and I have three computers running perfectly.

The link to 7.10 is a little hard to find so here you go: http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso

I don't mean to be difficult but if you want to continue this conversation it is probably best to continue it in the original thread.

alejandro.mc
May 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Nah it's ok this is the cafe, i don't suppose it's incorrect to talk here =)

Thanks for replying! Good luck!

tamoneya
May 12th, 2008, 06:24 AM
while there is very little that isnt approriate for the cafe it isnt beneficial for other users if we figure something out. Also as you can apparently tell I have no problems with hardy and therefore know little about the lockups. If you want to talk about the lockups the people who know about them the most are monitoring the lockup thread and you will get the best response if you post there.

madjr
May 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Hey thanks for replying. Although I'm still a bit confused.

Note: I'm using caps simply so that you can read my answers easily, it does not mean I'm shouting at all. If disturbs I'll be happy to change it!

Just in case you are wondering I'm referring to this lockuo:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765510

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/209830

So before the Alpha 6 there were 5 more Alpha releases? yes. THANKS!
Where there any lock ups detected in those previous alpha releases? some. I MEAN THIS KIND, NOT ANY KIND.
How is it possible for a final release to come out with such a monumental lock up error? not really some people have had problems but they are much better now. THE PEOPLE HAVING THIS LOCKUP ARE NOT BETTER NOW. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO SOLUTION TO IT.
Has something similar occur in previous Ubuntu releases? not from what ive seen. THANKS!
How is it possible for such a monumental lock up conveniently occur without leaving any traces, and without having pattern at all (or almost no pattern believed to be exist)? There isnt a big problem. NO, YOU ARE NOT HAVING A BIG PROBLEM.
Should we be suspicious of anything or anyone, or I'm simply a paranoid i****? There is nothing wrong with being suspicious but Ubuntu Hardy Heron is pretty sage. THANKS!
How much time do you think it's going to take to solve it? What is broken? MMM WELL VERY OBVIOUS.
Am I saying too many stupidities? Ive seen much worse. THIS ONE MADE LAUGH SO BAD! THANKS!
Am I getting banned for this? =) No not at all. We are here to help. THAT'S THE UBUNTU SPIRIT!

Thanks for replying!

Bye!

don't use CAPS, use bold or colors.

alejandro.mc
May 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Done!

forrestcupp
May 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Yes, some people are going to find bugs in the final release. This lockup problem is not something that everyone is experiencing. Usually, these types of things are hardware conflicts.

But every final release of Ubuntu in the past has had bugs. Even more than that, every final release of any OS ever made has shipped with bugs. There are people who have lockups with the Windows that they paid $200 for. That's why they have security updates and service packs.

Basically, the way it works for Ubuntu is that they had 6 alphas and a beta with a 6 month window of time to have a final release ready. They bust their butts trying to address all of the bug reports people send them, but they still have to be done within 6 months. But they're still working on bug fixes and security updates.