PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Lock-up with 8.04-Alternate Boot

peterjanda
May 12th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I downloaded the 8.04 Alternate ISO file for a 32-bit system, performed an MD5Sum check, received a green light, burned a CD at 4x speed and commenced the installation process.

I got to the point where I was asked for my user name, password, etc., after which the process indicated "Select and Install Software." The progress bar showed 6% completion before locking up / hanging up / not moving forward. I thought I'd let things run for a while just to ensure that I was not being impatient, but a half day later, progress is still at 6%, making me fairly certain that something is amiss.

I have a 2.5 GHz Intel CPU, 512 MB RAM and two 40 GB HDs that under XP were in a RAID 0 configuration. During the manual partition process, the HDs were recognized as individual disks and no option was made available to resize the Windows partitions. Though I originally wanted a dual boot to ease my transition, I said to hell with it and allocated 38 GB and 2 GB to the root and swap partitions, respectively. The other HD had all 40 GB allocated to the /home partition.

Any thoughts about how I can get past the "Select and Install Software" step?

Regards,

Newbie-Who-Has-Vowed-Never-to-Give-Microsoft-Another-Dime

peterjanda
May 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Update on this issue: I left the installer on overnight and came back in the morning with the install process nearly complete (I had to enter some data to finish up). I doubt installation is supposed to take almost 24 hours, but everything seems in order now. Strange.

Gondor81
May 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have been having this same issue on a Mac G3. I left it run all night and it just said there was an issue and I could skip over the problem. Not sure how to fix this because it stops the install where yours continued.