PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD boot to black screen - GeForce 6200

Thanh-BKK
May 12th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Hello :)

I am trying to get Ubuntu going on a second computer, however i am getting stuck right at the beginning - starting the Live CD.

The machine in question is a Pentium 4 2400, 512 MB RAM, with a GeForce 6200 AGP graphics card.

I have tried this with Hardy 8.04 ("normal" and "Safe Graphics") as well as Gutsy 7.10 (every available graphics mode), and get the same result all the time:

Splash screen comes, starts rolling, and in the end (which is where i suppose X would start) the screen just turns off and the computer doesn't do anything anymore - not even Caps Lock works, i guess it just crashes hard.

A Windows-"test install" went thru without hassle, so the hardware is fine.

Is there a solution for this?

With kind regards.....

Thanh

Pumalite
May 12th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Have you tried the Alternate CD?

Thanh-BKK
May 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Hello :)

Reporting from that very computer now. No, i didn't try the alternate CD, but i managed to get Hardy installed - using the on-board graphic! The problem is clearly with the graphics card, as with the on-board SiS it works fine - yet i can't enable any desktop effects, which sucks.

For some reason, using the GeForce, as soon as the splash screen is finish and X is supposed to start, the machine locks up. I tried it by booting to "recovery mode", it came up with auto detecting hardware, but then again, when it offered me to "continue booting" (after it had done some modification) again it locked up immediately after.

Is the Nvidia GeForce 6200 not supported at all?

Should i try to install the proprietary driver from Nvidia's site from CLI mode? I was hoping i couild use the one from the repos, as that works perfectly in my other computer (a GeForce 7200, which i couldn't find in AGP version for this computer).

With best regards......

Thanh

Thanh-BKK
May 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Bump.......

Any solutions to this..?

Regards....

Thanh