PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] broadcom 4311 hardware drivers not recognize

jareddlc
May 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
ive tried so many ways to try to activate my wireless but none seem to work. i am alwasy stuck sincse hardware drivers or (restricted drivers) doesnot recognize my wifi. i installed b43fw-cutter and it downloads the correct firmware but it still doesnt appear, ive tried with ndiswrapper and nothing. any ideas?
when i put an usb driver it works fine.

Jimmey
May 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
This is how I got mine working (it might not work for you)

Use the bcm43xx-fwcutter (note that it's NOT the b43-fwcutter) on the wlapsta.o driver you can download from various locations, and put the firmware files in /lib/firmware.

Restart the computer.

Then
sudo modprobe -r b43 && modprobe bcm43xx

Worked for me.

Ayuthia
May 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
ive tried so many ways to try to activate my wireless but none seem to work. i am alwasy stuck sincse hardware drivers or (restricted drivers) doesnot recognize my wifi. i installed b43fw-cutter and it downloads the correct firmware but it still doesnt appear, ive tried with ndiswrapper and nothing. any ideas?
when i put an usb driver it works fine.

Can you post your lspci -nn information, your uname -r, and lshw -C network? The rev 02 of the 4311 cards are not working in kernel 2.6.24-16 unless you use NDISwrapper. The last portion will check to see which driver you are using.

jareddlc
May 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM
well i used the bcm43xx and now it loads the LED light and well it shows that i wireless installed but i still cannot view the wireless or i still doesnot show up in hardware drivers, im getting near though, so i tried blacklisting b43 and removing bcm43xx from the blacklist, im going to try with ndiswrapper

jareddlc
May 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
so i just mest it up since i blacklisted and added a line to /etc/modules lol so now i can get the LED back on. anysuggestions and when i do get the led on it stays on only for that session why i turn off my pc it wont autoload

Ayuthia
May 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
so i just mest it up since i blacklisted and added a line to /etc/modules lol so now i can get the LED back on. anysuggestions and when i do get the led on it stays on only for that session why i turn off my pc it wont autoload

If you are using NDISwrapper, try this guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff). Check out the section on Making it Permanent.

anomsuratno
May 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Take a look at this guide (http://anomsuratno.wordpress.com)
It works.

SurferGTO
May 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM
help. anyone.

master@master-laptop:~$ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: MCP67 Ethernet
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: a
bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
logical name: eth1
version: a2
serial: 00:1d:72:48:08:20
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.61 ip=192.168.0.102 latency=0 maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 module=forcedeth multicast=yes
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: BCM4310 USB Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
master@master-laptop:~$

Ayuthia
May 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
help. anyone.

You might try the link in post #6. I have not seen the b43 drivers work with the BCM4310 (14e4:4315) cards. That link has some driver options that might work for you.

SurferGTO
May 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
You might try the link in post #6. I have not seen the b43 drivers work with the BCM4310 (14e4:4315) cards. That link has some driver options that might work for you

thank you very much, but ive tried that many many times (it would be step 2e) on many fresh installs both in gutsy and in hardy. I still cant get ndiswrapper to find my hardware. again i have no problems whatsoever installing or running ndiswrapper, it would appear. nor do i have a problem installing or finding the driver, or having ndiswrapper find the driver. ndiswrapper just doesnt find my hardware.

SurferGTO
May 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM
master@master-laptop:~$ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: MCP67 Ethernet
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: a
bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
logical name: eth1
version: a2
serial: 00:1d:72:48:08:20
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.61 ip=192.168.0.102 latency=0 maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 module=forcedeth multicast=yes
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: BCM4310 USB Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0

that is whats listed for lswh -c network

SurferGTO
May 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
the guide linked in post 6 says as a hardy bug, when lshw -c network is run, you want module listed as ndiswrapper and not ssb. mine, however says forcedeth. which sounds scary. to me anyway.

Jimmey
May 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
There's a bug in the network manager that means it won't report the device as working using the bcm43xx module even though it is. I had to configure my network manually using if/iwconfig.

Ayuthia
May 14th, 2008, 11:27 PM
the guide linked in post 6 says as a hardy bug, when lshw -c network is run, you want module listed as ndiswrapper and not ssb. mine, however says forcedeth. which sounds scary. to me anyway.

Yes. If you cannot get it to work, you must forcedeth.... Sorry, bad joke. Actually, that is the driver for your wired network card. Yours is displaying UNCLAIMED which means that it currently does not have a driver. You might want to check ndiswrapper -l to see if the driver that you are using is valid. It should show driver (14e4:4315) present.

SurferGTO
May 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
haha i feel like forcing deth. upon my laptop.

master@master-laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed

thats all it shows with ndiswrapper -l

SurferGTO
May 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Great. i dont know why but i thought id try to use WICD as a network manager and see if i got any different results at all, and now i dont even have a WIRED connection. im using a verizon USB modem.

WTF this is starting to really anger me. broadcom sucks. 150 bux to anyone in my area who can get this working in one day. argh!!

SurferGTO
May 15th, 2008, 01:07 AM
ok i fixed it. the wired connection. still no wireless tho.

Ayuthia
May 15th, 2008, 02:08 AM
haha i feel like forcing deth. upon my laptop.

master@master-laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : driver installed
thats all it shows with ndiswrapper -l
That means that it does not like the driver. Is this the driver from step 2e (R174291.exe)?

From post 13 from this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=704088&page=2), the poster states that roaming needs to be enabled in order to connect. Of course, I don't think that this is going to solve your problem yet because we need to be able to get your wireless to see access points. Also, they are using the driver in step 2e...

What company made your laptop?

SurferGTO
May 15th, 2008, 03:06 AM
as far as i know yes it is the driver from step 2e. its an HP Pavilion dv2745se Notebook PC according to the product number

Ayuthia
May 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM
as far as i know yes it is the driver from step 2e. its an HP Pavilion dv2745se Notebook PC according to the product number
If you haven't tried this one yet, it is the XP driver for your laptop:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36684.exe

SurferGTO
May 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
ok, so i have that file, and i have the windows vista file, i run them using wine, and than what? still a bit of a noob here but im learnin quick.. after running them windows wireless drivers menu still doesnt have them listed....