PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3 broken?

crahen
May 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I've been using Hardy for several weeks and I have consistent problems with Firefox 3 on that release.

The first issue is that the font size changes randomly. If I'm browsing javadoc, the font size will change from one click to the next. Particularly, when I've already scaled the size up with CTRL-+.

The second issue that after a few hours, the font gets all garbled and links no longer are click-able. The letters turn into weird box shapes that look like I'm suddenly in the wrong character set. I need to exit the browser and restart it for it work again.

The stability of firefox has gone down tremendously for me, and it's basically unusable. I wouldn't even know what to start looking at to try troubleshoot it.

hughh
May 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I just upgraded to Hardy and Firefox 3 has multiple problems. The biggest one I ran into in the first few minutes were multiple apparently random crashes of Firefox. Ug!

greghill
May 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Firefox 3 is a beta version and as such I found it to be too unstable. I experienced the same problems along with others in the Hardy release. Went back to Gutsy for now. Might try Hardy again later. Why they put this version of Firefox in this release is beyond me.

Tom--d
May 11th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Unistall firefox 3 in sypactic package manager and then install firefox 2.

Simple :)

jmagsho
May 11th, 2008, 10:38 PM
You could always try Opera.

crahen
May 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Isn't Hardy supposed to be considered stable and supported for the next 3 years? Seems like there is an issue here that should be addressed; is the solution really to have every user uninstall the web browser that comes on the stable image and revert to an older version? If so, shouldn't that go into an update instead of manually having everyone do it?

DeathStar
May 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Hardy is considered stable, but for some reason, they felt like being a bit "bleeding edge" and giving us the newest (not yet stable) firefox. The upgrade to Gutsy did the same for me with samba (installed an APLHA version!) which cause me no end of problems.

My advice is to stick with Hardy (as I've had no problems - yet). All you need to do is remove it using the package manager and get firefox 2. That's what I did and it works fine.