PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB 56k Modem Module in 8.04?

EmilyRose
May 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I just upgraded from 7.10 and am very unhappy. I was using the Zoom external mini modem, which was using generic usb-modem module, I think.

It no longer works in 8.04. Its an "unknown device" in my hardware info. Its not detected by anything, and does not create dev/ttyACM0 like it did before in 7.10.

During boot up I get a message reading something about a generic linux usb module which does not/can not load, and am assuming that it is the problem. However I can't find that message in my syslog!! Just see it during boot up... do those messages you see during boot up print to somewhere besides /var/log/syslog.txt???

Is the usb-modem module included in 8.04? Is there a new version I can download from somewhere? If not, is there any way to downgrade to 7.10??

Lots of thanks in advance

jetsam
May 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I probably can't help much with the hardware problem, but I can answer a few of your questions.

do those messages you see during boot up print to somewhere besides /var/log/syslog.txt???
You can view the bootup messages with:

dmesg

Make your particular message easier to find with:

dmesg | grep usb
...which will show just the bootup messages that contain the text "usb."

If not, is there any way to downgrade to 7.10??
...There's no way to downgrade short of re-installing from the 7.10 disk. That's a pain, and hopefully isn't necessary in your case.