PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install/upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04

patanjali
May 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hello,

I have been running 7.10 for about 6 months without too much grief. Then downloaded the 8.,04 ISO, burnt the CD and started the install from the desktop icon.
I got to the point where the disk scanner started and it hung at 46%, and it hung, and it hung! I aborted the install, and tried again, and again, and again. It hung at the same place every time. So I decided to go the upgrade route from 7.10 Everything went ok until the installer started to configure the packages which is when I noticed that it was throwing up "non-fatal" errors. It continued to the end of the process and then finally gave me an error message which in a nutshell said that there were errors and, get this, "your system may be unuseable". Bloody great!

I rebooted and have a system which seems to be 8.04 but which has some functionality broken. The package manager will not start, and the upgrade manager hangs. I can't at the moment get wireless working (Broadcom chipset). All in all not a success.

Can anyone help? I am running a Toshiba laptop with 764MB RAM and 2.6Ghz processor. Previous distros (ubuntu) have worked fine after some tweaking.

Any suggestions gratefully received.:confused:

Pumalite
May 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Burn a new cd after doing md5sum on your iso. Follow this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto?highlight=%28burn%29%7C%28
Burn at 4x or less in good quality CD-R, check CD integrity before install.
Clean the lens in your burner just in case. Try your CD's in a different computer.

patanjali
May 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks Pumalite, that's what I thoght (more or less).

P

Pumalite
May 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Good luck.