PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Pangolin

jeamer
May 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Hey, just got my pangolin in the mail, beautiful machine. Couldn't praise it any more than I already have to everyone, and it's already turning heads on campus. Look out 76, more orders will be coming from Victoria!

Anyways, a few things.

Wondering if there is a way to get the led in the mute button to work. Little thing, I know, but in classes its pretty key to know on startup if it's muted. Speaking of LED's , are the buttons on the left supposed to light up too? Can't tell (obviously they don't right now); they are the power to USB and ??? buttons.

Ekiga. It won't recognize ANYTHING... webcam, mic, speakers. I've tried forums, can't get anything to work. The cam works in cheese, the speakers work fine in everything else, but I haven't found an app that has the mic working. Ekiga is a big reason I got the nVidia, so I would love to get this working.

Other than those things, which are LED's and an external program, everything works GREAT, and that I cannot believe. When I dL'd Ubuntu a few years ago for a dual boot on my desktop, it took a LOT of configuring to get anything to work right for a while. Thanks for an awesome laptop!

ctsdownloads
May 11th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hey, just got my pangolin in the mail, beautiful machine. Couldn't praise it any more than I already have to everyone, and it's already turning heads on campus. Look out 76, more orders will be coming from Victoria!

Anyways, a few things.

Wondering if there is a way to get the led in the mute button to work. Little thing, I know, but in classes its pretty key to know on startup if it's muted. Speaking of LED's , are the buttons on the left supposed to light up too? Can't tell (obviously they don't right now); they are the power to USB and ??? buttons.

Ekiga. It won't recognize ANYTHING... webcam, mic, speakers. I've tried forums, can't get anything to work. The cam works in cheese, the speakers work fine in everything else, but I haven't found an app that has the mic working. Ekiga is a big reason I got the nVidia, so I would love to get this working.

Other than those things, which are LED's and an external program, everything works GREAT, and that I cannot believe. When I dL'd Ubuntu a few years ago for a dual boot on my desktop, it took a LOT of configuring to get anything to work right for a while. Thanks for an awesome laptop!

Ekiga is at best, cute, but not very reliable from my own experiences dating back to its roots as GNOMEMeeting.

For testing, I would shoot for Skype witch provides support for audio and video. Not promising success, but I believe you will have better luck with it. Have not tested it with Pulse audio, but do not see why it would not work.

jeamer
May 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I've actually been trying to get Skype... the deb off the website is 32 bit (I'm 64), and I also tried doing it through the medibuntu repo's ( http://technical-itch.co.uk/2007/09/18/how-to-install-skype-on-ubuntu/ ) but this doesn't seem to work in hardy... the tutorial was written for feisty. Any ideas on where to get it?

EDIT: finally got skype on here, good stuff in Ubuntu forums. Still can't get the mic to work, but the video's working fine. So, where we're at is the mic is not working in any applications.

EDIT AGAIN : followed thomasaaron's screenshots : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=750647 and my mic works decent enough for a conversation on skype, works great in other applications. thanks!