PDA

View Full Version : boycottWEP

mrbuntuman
May 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
www.BoycottWEP.org is a new site (still under construction) with lots of wireless intended tutorials.

All tutorial are with Ubuntu OS so im asuming that once we're 100% done alot of ppls will be interested.

In the upcoming weeks there will be a driver section (how to patch),the wifi adapters we recommend and many "how-to" use the most popular wireless tools out there and offcorse for the one of you that find reading intellectually taxing we'll have a Demo video library.

Keep in mind that all this is done on our own network / or with full written conscent from the network admin.Free internet is not worth a 5 yrs sentances with a cellmate name spanky so use ur head!!!

kevdog
May 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
This Definitive Guide as stated at the top of the page really isn't that definitive -- in-fact I would just label it as incomplete!!

chili555
May 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
It all sounds good, but how shall the reitrees living on a fixed income and the students living on next to no income afford replacement equipment? You evidently assume we will all come into a lottery win to get WPA2 equipment.

I'm not defending WEP, but, for some of us, that's the best we can afford. If, and when my router dies, it must be WEP-capable in order to support my other equipment. So, wireless manufacturers, please do not leave me in limbo by abandoning WEP.

I will now don my Sparco flame-retardant suit.

kevdog
May 11th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I agree with all your reasons for not abandoning WEP (backwards compatibility), however just an FYI -- WPA2 equipment is not expensive. Routers are cheap -- Im sure someone on a fixed income could afford one (and place their old one in the closet next to their last five cellular phones they couldn't afford either)!

chili555
May 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
One, but not the only, piece of gear I have that doesn't speak WPA2 is the wireless card built in to my Thinkpad T40, an Aironet 350. The newer firmware supports it but mine doesn't. I haven't discovered how to update it in Linux, yet.

I could buy an IPW2915 and take the laptop apart all over the kitchen table and replace it. I could buy a PCMCIA card that does WPA2 and read your excellent ndiswrapper guide. Or I could wait for mrbuntuman to put a PayPal button on his site to get me a new laptop.

These steps are just not feasible for a lot of people. I still believe it's too soon to shoot WEP in the heart.

I only have one cell phone I have abandoned, but I think I may have a SCSI printer in the closet somewhere.

Hurry, guys, this Sparco is hot!

mrbuntuman
May 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM
You guyz are missing the point here. i appreciate the feedback , that i really do. However the idea here is mostly from a customer service point of view ,you would call that ::Education of the customer::. What do i mean by that... Well let me tell you a story about WEP.

About 3 weeks ago i walk into a Futuresh*p to by a new pcmcia card and Access point for my house , the salesman Garanteed me that the wep its just as safe as WPA2 and the price differance was only due to the fact that WPA2 is a newest technology.

Now i know better than that but didnt really feel like arguing with the guy.

Now the question is how many joe 6packs would actually believe the salesman??

That being said i truelly believe that ppls should know the true about the definitive weakness surrounding the technologie. If u cant afford better im sorry to hear but does this mean that you should denied everyone else the right to make the right choice regarding hardware that they shouldnt be buying if the have the choice to go WEP or WPA2?

I think not.