PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04 on a Daru2

imhavoc
May 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Last Saturday, I backed up my personal data, gritted my teeth and initiated the distro upgrade (7.10->8.04) procedure with some sense of dread.

When I got the machine last fall, just before 7.10 was released, I somehow managed to completely blow away my partitions during the upgrade. I have not figure out how that happened to this day. I'm hardly a Linux Newbie, and I have been using and upgrading Ubuntu Variants since 6.06. That was weird.

Anyway, When I got Sunday morning and, much to my surprise, the downloads had completed, and the user prompt was patiently waiting for me. I few interactions while I got dressed, and my computer was upgraded to 8.04 before I left for Church.

I have to say, it's been a really good week with 8.04! My experience with 8.04 has been that it's better, but in those subtle ways that don't change the experience except in the ways that make it more mundane to use (k)Ubuntu.... you just use it, things are even more stable than you've become accustomed to, and things work.

ctsdownloads
May 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Glad to hear it went well for you. :)

darkknight045
May 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah, wish I could say the same on my Gazelle. The update process wrecked my system, I ended up needing to do a clean install to fix it. Fortunately I keep a Knoppix CD handy and was able to go and make the adjustments I needed to get things running again.

My lesson from all this is to stick with clean re-installs as often as possible.

ctsdownloads
May 12th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Yeah, wish I could say the same on my Gazelle. The update process wrecked my system, I ended up needing to do a clean install to fix it. Fortunately I keep a Knoppix CD handy and was able to go and make the adjustments I needed to get things running again.

My lesson from all this is to stick with clean re-installs as often as possible.

With the exception of OS X, I tell most people that upgrading Linux or Windows without doing a clean install is basically exclaiming "yes, I realize that I might hose my install".

Not saying you should never try it, just realizing that you are indeed risking it as a clean installed with a backed up /home folder and /var/cache/apt/archives is always going to be massively more successful. :)

thomasaaron
May 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
You know, it's kind of funny. Given the number of computers we've got out there verses the number I see hosed on upgrade, it would seem that upgrading is going pretty well. That's from a tech-support perspective.

However, I pretty much always do a fresh install. It's kind of like a fresh, clean sheet of paper. Something irresistible about it.