PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I/O error?

Fzang
May 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM
When I boot from the hardy heron live disc, it says something like:

I/O error in device fd1 logical block 0

It hangs like that for about 30 seconds, then it boots up into ubuntu live.

Is it something bad? Can I fix it?

Aearenda
May 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
fd1 sounds like a diskette drive - but you would have to have two to get fd1 showing up, rather than fd0. Anyway, is there a diskette in the drive?

Fzang
May 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM
No, the only thing is a ubuntu live CD

Now it just said:

Buffer I/O error on device fd1, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

And I turned off the computer. After that I rebooted and it didn't say anything, but booted the CD

What's going on?

Aearenda
May 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
A ghost in the machine!

Does your BIOS have an option to disable floppy drives? Maybe that will banish it.

Fzang
May 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
There's no floppy drive settings, hence my computer doesn't even have a floppy drive

Could it be something wrong with the ubuntu CD? I ran the "check cd" from the boot menu and it checked...went black... came up with
"Buffer I/O error on device fd1, logical block 0"

I'll try make a new one with a brand new CD... the old CD has been used for ubuntu, dreamlinux, winXP and ubuntu again - Could I have killed the poor thing?

Aearenda
May 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Weird! It sounds like your computer is confusing the CD drive with a floppy drive.

Anyway, yes, you could try a new live CD, or the Alternate installation CD.
Also how much RAM in your machine? See the start of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=609319.

It happened in http://www.justlookdifferent.com/2008/04/29/ubuntu-804-64-bit-lts-desktop-edition-review/ but installation proceeds.

Fzang
May 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
EDIT:

I went into BIOS and it says "Extended memory: 1790 mb"

Is that my memory?

DBrocks
May 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hmmm I believe I had something like that happen to me once. I opened my computer, and found my floppy drive to be unplugged from power. Try making sure it is fully plugged in. Also, try disconnecting the IDE or Sata cable, and the power cable, that way it won't be able to see the floppy drive

Fzang
May 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
It doesn't have a floppy drive, and it never had >_>?

Aearenda
May 12th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Usually it will say how much RAM (extended plus basic) you have on the BIOS screen as it starts up. Anyway, you have plenty, so it's not that.

How did you go with the new CD?

Aearenda
May 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Another idea: there is a kernel parameter 'floppy=off' that I just came across in another thread - perhaps it will suppress this issue. Here's how to test it:

At boot time, press ESC to enter the Grub menu.
Use <up>/<down> if necessary to select the Ubuntu entry.
Press 'e' to edit.
Use the <up>/<down> keys to select the kernel line.
Press 'e' to edit
Go to the end of the line and add a space and 'floppy=off'
Press <enter>
Press <b> to boot.

This can be made permanent if it works.

bigken
May 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
try shorting the cmos battery to reset the bios sounds like a bad checksum error

housam
May 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I'll try make a new one with a brand new CD... the old CD has been used for ubuntu, dreamlinux, winXP and ubuntu again - Could I have killed the poor thing?

Try to burn the new CD at slow speed as 2x or 4x . this 'll prevent burning errors.