PDA

View Full Version : Complaint

jdusablon
December 12th, 2004, 06:02 PM
What is the purpose of "Stumper Questions" section? Why are moderators allowed to highlight their tough questions while the rest of us have all had one or two serious questions go without a single reply?

I find this unethical, and it actually surprises and disappoints me. I have never before seen this kind of 'leetism' in a Linux forum before, only in the ******* community.

This just frustrates the regular posters like me into thinking that our questions don't matter.

Rancoras
December 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Actually only one of them is a mod's question, mine. The moderators are the only ones that can move questions to that forum, but that's only to keep clutter down there so that the questions have a better chance of being see and answered. Maybe your questions were missed? If you like, PM me links to the questions you're referring to and I'll check them out.

jdong
December 12th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Sorry, we don't try to 'highlight' our favorite questions -- some just slip from our attention. Use the Report Post buttons or PM us if you think a thread belongs somewhere other than its current location.

BWF89
December 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
If a question hasn't been answered and is sinking to the bottom of the page just reply something like "bumping the thread" and someone is bound to see it...

What would be nice is if someone asked a really good question and someone else gave a really good answer if we could put it in the stumper questions so people would read it before they asked a similar question...

jdodson
December 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I find this unethical, and it actually surprises and disappoints me.

i am not really sure how this is unethical.

TravisNewman
December 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Perhaps you should ASK about it before jumping to conclusions and making unfounded accusations. There's no "leetism" or unethical practices going on. If you have a stumper and you want it included just PM a mod. With as many posts as we have on the forums you can't expect every question to get noticed. I agree that the procedure could be refined to get more questions in there that need to be there, but seriously dude, one of the worst ways to get something accomplished is to insult people's integrity.

zenwhen
December 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Haha, the mods around here take themselves less seriously than on any other Linux forum you will find, and certainly aren't in here to hoard the help to themselves.

Threads that have gone unanswered for a long time get moved there.

Also, congrats on being the first person to whine about these forums. 8-)

TravisNewman
December 13th, 2004, 07:21 PM
*L* yeah, nobody has trolled about the forums before this have they? Interesting.

--begin rib-jab at zenwhen--
jdusablon, just be glad you aren't on the Something Awful forums, right zenwhen?
--end rib-jab--

ubuntu-geek
December 13th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I guess we cant please everyone. If you want your unanswered question added to the stumpers section let us know. We try to move the old ones in there weeks old at times.

jakeslife
December 24th, 2004, 05:05 AM
I'm not sure which thread he posted that went unanswered, but one thing that irks me about forums in general is the titles "HELP ME PLEEEEEEZ!" or "hi" or "a question here." Titles should be concise and to the point, respecting the fact that even though the people who volunteer heir time to help others with issues, they shouldn't have to wade through neverending posts from people who don't search the forums before posting.

Not to say that this peson did, so extinguish the fire in your trousers...