PDA

View Full Version : Nooooooooooooooo!

Barrucadu
May 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I just broke my laptop :(
Luckily, my dad is getting me a new, much better, laptop after my exams :)

SuperSon!c
May 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
hm

DieB
May 11th, 2008, 12:32 PM
what kind of, and what broke?

probably it's worth as spare reserve.

so let me please know.

vishzilla
May 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Was it intentional? :-\"

spupy
May 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Was it intentional? :-\"

How many times did it "accidentally" fall from the desk? ;)

Phil Airtime
May 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I just broke my laptop :(
Luckily, my dad is getting me a new, much better, laptop after my exams :)

That's nice for you.

Honestly, what was the point of this post? I can't believe people actually get computer equipment bought for them! In the meantime, how about getting a rubbish shop job and saving up for your own like I had to when I was a teenager? I still scrimp and save on PC gear now that I'm in my twenties and at work; I'm on a five year old machine now, since I don't have someone to buy me new stuff!

Kingsley
May 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
That's nice for you.

Honestly, what was the point of this post? I can't believe people actually get computer equipment bought for them! In the meantime, how about getting a rubbish shop job and saving up for your own like I had to when I was a teenager? I still scrimp and save on PC gear now that I'm in my twenties and at work; I'm on a five year old machine now, since I don't have someone to buy me new stuff!
Some people are more privileged than others. :)

Phil Airtime
May 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Some people are more privileged than others. :)

There's privileged and there's its obnoxious cousin, spoiled.

I live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, and I feel privileged to do so. But it doesn't buy me new kit!

billgoldberg
May 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Dissect the laptop and try saving some parts.

Barrucadu
May 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I'll be taking it to bits as soon as I know I can't fix it.

Also, before you call me spoiled, you should know a little about my dad. He spends six weeks (or more) away from home, on a ship, with dodgy phones/internet connection so he can't really talk to us that often. He works very long hours, I'm not sure how long but at least 12 a day. He likes to get me and my brother something nice when he comes home.

the8thstar
May 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Put the LiveCD in and your laptop will be magically resurrected. ;)

Barrucadu
May 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Put the LiveCD in and your laptop will be magically resurrected. ;)

No, no it wont. The screen is dead.

ubuntu-freak
May 11th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I spilt red wine on my last laptop. I quickly turned it off, left it to dry for a day or two and it worked fine. Could smell the wine everytime I powered it up thereafter.

Nathan

Joeb454
May 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I spilt red wine on my last laptop. I quickly turned it off, left it to dry for a day or two and it worked fine. Could smell the wine everytime I powered it up thereafter.

Nathan

Did it make you want a drink of Wine?

Barrucadu
May 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Did it make you want to use WINE?

71CH
May 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM

booooooo

#-o

SuperSon!c
May 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
questionable at first, but now worthy of the backyard at best.

the8thstar
May 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
No, no it wont. The screen is dead.

Of course it will. The ancient Aztecs used to invoke Tlaloc with invocations and a few human sacrifices. I would do the same if I were you.

chucky chuckaluck
May 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM
In the meantime, how about getting a rubbish shop job and saving up for your own like I had to when I was a teenager?

meh. your pain is a squeaking spec of lint in the shadow of my sorrow. when i was a teenager, computers took up huge rooms.

eragon100
May 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I also got my computer from my parents. I was allowed to spend a max 1000 euro's (about 1300 Dollars)

I got a 20 inch widescreen monitor, max res 1680 x 1050, 5.1 surround sound speakers, and this comp:

intel core 2 duo e 6300 @ 1.86 GHz

1 GB ram

512 MB GeForce 7 7500 LE video (dedicated memory offcourse)

DVD rewriter

320 GB HDD

windows xp home and corel office x3

That were good specs at the end of 2006. Some changes have been made to the software :) (windows wiped from the drive) but I am still very happy with it. Reasonable gaming pc, huge screen and surround sound :guitar:.

ubuntu-freak
May 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Did it make you want a drink of Wine?

Yup. Interesting reminder if I forgot to buy some booze.

Nope, I was an XP user at the time. I'm not interested in the application Wine anyway.

Nathan

helliewm
May 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
No I don't think he is pandered too by his parents. I have 2 teenage Nephews and I am far more IT literate than my Sister and Brother-in-Law so yes I do make sure they both have a decent Desktop as IT is so very very important nowadays.

I would not attempt to build a PC but I know enough to know what I am buying so have 2 companies I use for purpose built PC's. Both Nephews now need upgrades with ram etc so that is next on my shopping list.:)

I buy PC's that have been purpose built they are easier/cheaper for upgrades than the likes of Dell.

Helen

ice60
May 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
my Dad bought my computers, but it's literally the only thing he has bought me since i turned 18, i don't think it's being too spoilt.

spamzilla
May 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I also got a new laptop recently, but with one difference - I didn't leach off my parents to buy it.

SuperSon!c
May 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I also got a new laptop recently, but with one difference - I didn't leach off my parents to buy it.

but if you're living at home you're still "leeching"

ice60
May 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
good for you. i hope you're not suggesting i was leeching when you don't know my circumstances? i've had 2 computers in the last 6 years for birthday presents whereas i normally don't get anything for christmas or my birthday. i never ask for anything, other than those 2 birthday presents!