PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can reseting the computer while installing/downloading with apt-get break your Linux?

Cifra
May 11th, 2008, 11:41 AM
This is an interesting question...
I've got a few computers in school to setup by building them from the base upwards (don't ask why, I have a good reason to), but I would like to APT-GET, say X.org and let it download and install by itself (through the terminal with apt-get), and then leave and come back later, when it's done.

The problem:
What happens is that there's a possibility someone will get to the computer, think it's broken or something and do what every Windows user would: reset it...

now my question is, if the guy reset the computer during the download or during the install of the package, would he break the system?

If not, can I just type the same command later and it would resume where it left off?

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
May 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
What happens is that there's a possibility someone will get to the computer, think it's broken or something and do what every Windows user would: reset it...

Why don't you leave a big paper sign like to warn them not to touch it ?

now my question is, if the guy reset the computer during the download or during the install of the package, would he break the system?

If not, can I just type the same command later and it would resume where it left off?

During the install, yes, some packages would be left unconfigured, so :

- sudo dpkg --configure --pending
- sudo apt-get install --fix-broken
- retype the command and it will resume at a working point.

That's how I do it anyway.

Cifra
May 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Why don't you leave a big paper sign like to warn them not to touch it ?

That would be like begging them do to just that :)

Thanks for your answer, I'll try using this method :)

Joeb454
May 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Also it may tell you to run 'dpkg configure -a' so just run
sudo dpkg configure -a as well :)