PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Hardy Not Ready for Release

mandrill
May 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM
So, Canonical released Hardy knowing that samba filesharing was broken. Check out launchpad and other bug reports. It doesn't work. If there is a way to make filesharing work someone please let me know. I have 50GB of music I can't access from any other pc in the house. A flagship LTS should not have these problems......

OFFICIAL END OF RANT. (but read this - http://www.degen.net/)

ajmorris
May 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
hi there,
smbclient works here... (i am using intrepid, but not that many updates have been pushed yet, and i cant see it being fixed in intrepid before hardy....)
syntax for smbclient is:

smbclient \\\\<ip-address>\\<share name> -U <username> it will then prompt for the share password, then once in the help command will give you a list of commands, but basically, cd will change the directory in the share, lcd will change the directory on your computer, then you can use put and get to upload/download, other parameters such as tarmode for folders etc may need to be used also.

AJ

stinger30au
May 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM
So, Canonical released Hardy knowing that samba filesharing was broken. Check out launchpad and other bug reports. It doesn't work. I

works fine here.

squirrel_chaser
May 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I have been mounting Windows shares with the smbclient using cifs since the beta and have not had any difficulty. Someone here can certainly help you out with any specific problems.