PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow internet on Ubuntu... (Belkin WiFi Card)

ExRarne
May 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hey, I installed Ubuntu yesterday on my desktop computer. Beforehand I was getting 200kb/s downloads on Windows over my WiFi connection.

After switching to Ubuntu and setting up my network settings etc, I found I was able to browse the internet and download files ok, but the process was much slower than usual, and it's rare to see download speeds above 30kb/s. I've tried changing the network settings to a near-insane number of combinations, but none work.

It's a Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card... I'd be more specific if I could but that's all I'm gathering from the box... :mad:

So, anyone able to help?

Megacherv
May 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'd guess that it's due to incompatibility issues with Belkin products. I've tried a Belkin USB dongle on my PS3's Linux (PS3 wireless hardware issues) and it didn't recognise it at all. I e-ailed Belkin and they said that they didn't support Linux.

ExRarne
May 11th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hmm, I thought of that actually, but it's worth noting that I tried to install Ubuntu back in 2006 (Think it was 6.06) the card didn't work at all...

It's also worth noting that I was actually using RaLink drivers on Windows (don't exactly know why, that was my brother's decision).

Are there any unofficial Belkin drivers out there? Or RaLink?

EDIT: Hmm, spotted this: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html... Might take a look into it. I'll let you know if they work.

EDIT2: Bah, source code... Is there a precompiled around? I can't download compiler tools etc from the internet on my desktop, internet's not working :(

EDIT3: I downloaded some RaLink stuff from Synpatic while it was working for a second, no change..