PDA

View Full Version : [other] I'm pwning my HDD

Fzang
May 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I need to remove a crashed partition or something, because it just said "disc not found" and I couldn't even remove it with a partition editor.

***I'm 120% sure that my disc is in fine condition***

Now I'm using DBAN to pwn the living hell out of my disc, so it can be completely clean for an ubuntu install.:)

However... it takes another 20 hours to finish the rest 50%

Do I really need to wait that long? Or is it just deleting the same bits of disc over and over to avoid anything from recovering the files? Can I turn off my computer and still have a working disc, if I simply end DBAN by shutting off?

Rocket2DMn
May 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM
There is no need to nuke your drive unless there is sensitive data on there that you are worried about somebody getting their hands on. You say that your drive is fine, but regardless, I would be sure to keep good backups for all your stuff. You should be able to stop the DBAN stuff and go ahead and install. thought it probably hasn't finished wiping the disk.

Fzang
May 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
It doesn't matter if it's finished or not, I just need to know if it will damage my disc to stop DBAN in the midst of a process?

Rocket2DMn
May 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Your hard drive should be fine, DBAN is just writing random information all over the drive.