PDA

View Full Version : Is Canonical formed by Mark Shuttleworth

xbaez
October 19th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Today I read this at http://www.linux-mag.com/content/view/2230/
"Yep, if you recall, Shuttleworth was the guy who hitched a ride on the Russian Soyuz to the International Space Station in 2002 (for an estimated $20 million). Now, for his latest challenge, hes going to conquer the Penguin food chain."

WOW, is this true? That's the guy that was hearing opera in the space? Amazing ;)

aysiu
October 19th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Yes, it's true.

Goober
October 20th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Ya, he's the guy who sold his company in South Africa (forgot the name, started with a T I think) for 575 Million (not sure what currency, probably American), and then started Canonical, the Ubuntu Foundation, and the Shuttleworth Foundation. Bit of a Philanthroper (no idea how to spell this) I think.

Lovechild
October 20th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Philanthropist

And here's Mark's very own Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Shuttleworth

earobinson
October 20th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Mark is a great man, as well as the ubuntu team, and dont forget the debian team (ubuntu is strongly debian based)

Infact there are many open source greats

jeremy
October 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
It is great to know that not all people that make a fortune on software end up like that other bloke (or his chubby friend)!

asimon
October 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM
A cool founder for a cool distro, that matches.

pinoyskull
October 20th, 2005, 01:20 PM
read more
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/

xbaez
October 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
I am not saying it isn't cool, but it will get COOLER if we can found out that Mark had some sort of foundation or support for the poor.

Imagine that

Instead of the greedy companies, Ubuntu could be open source, 100% free, and EVEN founded by people who help others

This distro is great ;)
I would have taken Celia Cruz to hear in teh space ;)

nsa_767
October 21st, 2005, 01:14 PM
I am not saying it isn't cool, but it will get COOLER if we can found out that Mark had some sort of foundation or support for the poor.

Imagine that

Instead of the greedy companies, Ubuntu could be open source, 100% free, and EVEN founded by people who help others

This distro is great ;)

I speak under correction, but I do believe that the Shuttleworth Foundation does a lot here in South Africa to promote science and technology in schools... It's not directly helping the poor, but you can indirectly view it as such.

All in all, Mark is just a great guy... He makes me proud to be South African, and proud to be a Linux user.

agger
October 21st, 2005, 01:18 PM

Imagine that

This distro is great ;)

I'm not sure I get what you mean? But Shuttleworth does have a foundation in support of the poor, or rather: It promotes education in South Africa, and Africa in general:

"One of the main objectives of the Shuttleworth Foundation is to invest in projects that provide innovative solutions to educational challenges in an African context," as we read on the home page:

www.shuttleworthfoundation.org

xbaez
October 21st, 2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah proud to be a Ubuntu user
we're not bills spywared users ;)
(yeah I play, communicate, use multimedia apps, work, learn about linux... and go to my bank account with confidence)

RAV TUX
October 23rd, 2005, 07:27 PM
It's my understanding the The Ubuntu Foundation is set up to help the poor directly...thrid world countries that would normally be taken advantage of by greedy companies...but it is also my understanding that the Foundation actual distributes laptops with Ubuntu to poor school children in poor countries....this will benefit them more in the long run then most attempts of helping the poor which end in misery,...most money given is stolen by rouge leaders, also food. But an education facilitated by Ubuntu can not be stolen. This will help the poor to rise above their current existence. Ubuntu is a revolution! Ubuntu is reality! the old OS slave drivers will not last.

Each and everyone of use as individuals has therefore an ethical responsibilty to the world and the people to use Ubuntu.

fredricsolstad
October 24th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Ya, he's the guy who sold his company in South Africa (forgot the name, started with a T I think) for 575 Million (not sure what currency, probably American), and then started Canonical, the Ubuntu Foundation, and the Shuttleworth Foundation. Bit of a Philanthroper (no idea how to spell this) I think.

Thawte.. he sold it to VeriSign.