PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy a new cheap computer, please.

Pogeymanz
May 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hello Ubuntu ladies and gents. I'm in the market for a new desktop PC. Let me tell you about what I need so you can help me pick one out. I know some of you must like doing stuff like this.

This PC does not need to be anywhere near top of the line. I don't play games or do anything very taxing to my computers. I do enjoy a youtube video from time to time.

I want the whole system to be under $600 U.S., but I would really prefer under $500. The problem is that I also want a computer that I can keep for 4-5 years before I need/want to upgrade. E.g., I want a 64bit processor, because, even though they aren't necessary now, I don't want to be outdated in a year or two. I also want the RAM to be upgradable to 4GB, for the same reason.

Also, I need a wireless device. I will pay extra to get one that will work automagically in Linux.

So, that is your challenge. Here are some things that are important to me, roughly in order of importance.

1. Under/around $500
2. Linux-friendly hardware. (Wireless)
3. 64bit
4. 4GB Max RAM
5. HDD optional
6. No Windows OS. (I hate paying for something I don't need)
7. No OS at all (unlikely to find)

I forgot. I have a $50 BestBuy gift certificate, so I think I'll buy the monitor there and get a $200 for $150. So if you could find the rest of the system for around $350 or less, points for you.

I know that I might have some unrealistic expectations for the money I'm willing to spend, but I'm open to advice/suggestions.

My main problem is that I don't know anything about processors, so I need guidance as to which ones are good or bad.

Any advice helps, so just throw your 2 cents. Thank you guys!

bmac
May 11th, 2008, 06:26 AM
This might get you close...
http://www.oldkawman.com/
Click on computer sales...

friendofpugs
May 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hi!

You may want to check the local clearance tables of Office Depot, Office Max, if you're here in the states. I just picked up a HP m8100n with an AMD 64x dual core 2.8 mhz cpu, 3g RAM, and 500G HD for about $350. I booted Hardy x64 and everything is swell; I'll probably erase Vista tomorrow.

Hope that helps!:)

CSMatt
May 11th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I recommend building your own. You can guarantee that your hardware will work, avoid the "Windows tax," and in many cases can do it for much less than buying an OEM machine (you're paying for the assembly as well as the hardware in OEM machines). It really isn't as difficult as it seems, so long as you read up on hardware compatibility and make sure that your motherboard, processor, and RAM all play nice with each other.

Bigtime_Scrub
May 11th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I also suggest you build it yourself. It will cost the same but:

You can review the list of known hardware that works with Ubuntu out of the box and get that.

You get exactly what you want in terms of upgradability.

You wont pay for Windows (which you arent going to use anyway)

Some of the mid range hardware will be cheaper overall than if you bought a mid range computer from a store.

The hardware you buy will be higher quality because big outlet stores sell computer with generic hardware.

Here are a couple of links for the do it yourself PC builder.
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
http://www.daileyint.com/build/

Here is a compatibility database for hardware that works across linux distros.

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

MetalheadGautham
May 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
do you mind overclocking, if not, why don't you try to go for an intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 ? I heard its rare, but on stock cooling, it does 3.0 GHz from the standard 1.6 GHz. It can last 4 years quite easily for your use.

For motherboard, you can try nVidia 630i based ones ? Pity they lack dual channel memory support, but without gaming, it won't make a difference. And it supports 4 gigs of ram.

Pogeymanz
May 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions.

With respect to building my own, I was always under the impression that it's only significantly cheaper if you build a high-end machine. But if that's not true, I'll look into it.

I just realized that something easily overclockable is a good idea!

Has anyone here had experience with a wireless device for a desktop that works easily with WPA?

This is what I'm thinking about getting, unless I decide to build one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103146

But, I have to make sure it likes Linux.

Tundro Walker
May 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
www.CraigsList.com (http://www.CraigsList.com)

Click on the area you live in, then click on the "computers" sale forum.

Occasionally, some gamer or computer enthusiast is hocking their "old" dual-core for a nice price. They actually dropping below $500.

You can tell if it's worth pursuing, because the person will list all the comp specs in complete, ad nauseum detail, letting you look up everything on NewEgg, price out a comparable system if you had to build it yourself, and see how much of a deal you're really getting.

I got my dual core through CL from a college guy who built it just because he wanted to, but needed to hock it for a laptop. It was a custom built job, top-of-the-line everything, dual 22" flat screen acer monitors ... the whole build came out to about $1500 on NewEgg at the time. However, I bought it for $800, because

a) most folks on CL are tight-wads and either couldn't afford his asking price or wanted to pay in installments

b) I was the only one willing to pay the asking price in cold, hard cash

~~~

Seriously, use different avenues to scope out a new comp (2nd hand comp stores, CraigsList, etc), and also set a FIRM price you're not willing to go over. Don't tell yourself "I want to spend $500 but willing to go $600". No. Set a $500 limit and that's it. You should be able to find a good, older dual-core system (like maybe AMD 2.? ghz) with all the acoutrements. Pass by all that p4 crap, which is either pre-fabbed Dell crap, or some gamer's overclocked (and near burned out) system. p4's just aren't worth it anymore.

As a side note, if you're going to buy a used comp, avoid sellers who try to fluff up the price by saying "all parts are still under warranty" or "all this software comes pre-installed". Warranties are usually non-transferable, and unless they're handing you all the cd's and keys for that software, they're basically pirating it to you, making you a thief right when you use that comp. Avoid jokers who give generic details about the comp, because they're usually just buying up old ones and trying to resell for profit or they're piecing together old junk for resell. You don't want to get stuck with a refurbish job who's hard drive craps out after 2 months.

madjr
May 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Ubuntu Dells

http://dell.com/open

also the guarantee is very good

CSMatt
May 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know about their desktops, but from what I hear Acer laptops are crap. Every time I hear "Acer" from someone it's almost always in relation to their laptop breaking down.

MetalheadGautham
May 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions.

With respect to building my own, I was always under the impression that it's only significantly cheaper if you build a high-end machine. But if that's not true, I'll look into it.

I just realized that something easily overclockable is a good idea!

Has anyone here had experience with a wireless device for a desktop that works easily with WPA?

But, I have to make sure it likes Linux.
Building a custom system is still cheaper(but by a lesser margin) if you are going for a lower end machine.

If you have decided that you want an OC machine, then go for Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140. It can run at 3GHz easily, and at that speed, its performance matches mid to high end PCs in several situations(esp while you pee in your pants while playing Doom3 or Quake4 in ubuntu :p)
I think it comes under 50$

For graphics, I suggest Ati Radeon 3650 or 3550 basded GPUs. They are both under 100$, and performance is quite good.

Mobo can be Abit IP35-E, which comes under 100$ and is based on the intel P35 chipset and hence is future proof.

So you got mobo + proccy + gpu under 250$. The remaining 100$ can go for keyboard, mouse , ram and speakers along with PSU/cabinet. But your cabinet might be an ugly one(for this budget) so bear with it.

hdd is optional hence not included.
nor is disc drive.

This is in no way a basic system, because your alloted budget was too much :lol:. It can even (barely manage to) run games like Crysis(at low resolution, most effects turned off), Unreal Tournament 3(no issues at all, even on linux), Quake4, Gears Of War, etc, etc.

PS: confirm the prices from your local dealer and report back.