PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] record clips from a dvd

linux_believer
May 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Does anybody have a app to suggest to do this. I tried ripping the dvd then trying to edit it but editing a 500 meg file is unbearable on my system.

Any help would be great

HotShotDJ
May 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Does anybody have a app to suggest to do this. I tried ripping the dvd then trying to edit it but editing a 500 meg file is unbearable on my system.What I do is use k9copy (its in the repositories) and rip the specific chapter I want -- and then edit it using cinelerra.

warbread
May 11th, 2008, 06:18 AM
From what I understand this is very difficult for software to do. If you haven't already, I would try Avidemux, which is in the repos. Other than that, the only way to do what you want would be to stream the video in from an external DVD player into a tuner card and record from there.

I'm no expert, but try searching Google and I think you'll come to the same conclusion.

HotShotDJ
May 11th, 2008, 06:29 AM
From what I understand this is very difficult for software to do.On the contrary.. its very easy.

niteshifter
May 11th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hi,

Try this page. (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-rip-dvd-audio-to-mp3-or-ogg.html) (ubuntugeek.com). I've also used Audacity (recording via capture) to do this.

Edit: I should read a bit closer: that page describes getting the audio. But transcode can be used to clip both.

Ptero-4
May 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Or just upgrade your box.

warbread
May 11th, 2008, 07:06 AM
On the contrary.. its very easy.

Sure, if you want to do it your way. What I meant to say was "With the extremely complicated and user unfriendly method I want to describe to you, it's difficult for software to do". You have to mess everything up with a better solution.

Meddling kids.

HotShotDJ
May 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Sure, if you want to do it your way. What I meant to say was "With the extremely complicated and user unfriendly method I want to describe to you, it's difficult for software to do". You have to mess everything up with a better solution.

Meddling kids.:lolflag: