PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI proprietary drivers install problem

mboisson
May 11th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Hello,
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with the 780G chipset and the HD 3200 ATI IGP. I installed the server amd64 version of hardy and apt-got ubuntu-desktop.

I also installed MythTV, and now, I wanted to get my PC to work with HDMI on my TV. I plug it and there is an image. However, I can't get it in the proper resolution (only basic resolutions like 800x600, 1024x768, etc. are available). So, I figure I don't have the right drivers.

After looking around for instructions, I get to this how-to :
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide

The first option they mention is "go in the Restricted Drivers Manager" and enable the "ATI accelerated graphics driver". Problem #1 : I don't have anything like "Restricted Drivers Manager" in System > Administration. The closest thing to this is "Hardware Driver", but it does not contain the ATI driver.

The second option is Method 1. I execute this command :
mboisson@HTPC:~$ sudo apt-get install restricted-manager
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package restricted-manager is a virtual package provided by:
jockey-gtk 0.3.3-0ubuntu8
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package restricted-manager has no installation candidate

They say that this command may not be required, so I continue, everything goes fine until after rebooting, I type
fglrxinfo

and get this : Error: unable to open display (null)

Moreover, the login screen in HDMI looks fine, it is widescreen and is pretty. However, when I log in, I see the desktop background for a few seconds and everything goes white. X doesn't seems to load properly.

I also tried Method 2, but I can't get to compile the drivers.