PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] i want to love and use ubuntu but...

pablolie
May 11th, 2008, 04:37 AM
... the 64 bit desktop version 8.04 CD never comes close to installing on a last generation off the shelf PC. and the previous 7-something version installs at first (after a couple of awkward retries involving "failed xtramfs errors" or whatever) and then goes to *HELL* after the semi-mandatory installs are uploaded. it is way beyond frustrating, because all i want to achieve is extremely simple: run squeezecenter 7.0 and use the ubuntu machine as a server for it.

please. i am an expert windos and apple user. why on earth can i no longer make this work with ubuntu? it is last generation hardware (shuttle glamor x30) with an intel core duo, and it goes to hell after the upgrade, and 8.04 will not work. argh. agh.

what i want to do is soooooo simple. please let ubuntu just run, not even driver optimized. but i can't. as soon as the upgrades kick in that i need to run squeezecenter, it all goes to hell. painful. so sad.

i want and need to love this

ladr0n
May 11th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Will need a little more information, if you can provide it.

What hardware are you using (as comprehensively as possible)?
At what point in the install process does it fail?
What error messages do you get (if any)?

kio_http
November 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Try a newer release like Karmic

orangeworx
November 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Why not go 9.10?

pablolie
November 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
i wish i could close the topic and mark it as "solved"...

i *love* unbuntu these days. :-D

audiomick
November 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
What is stopping you from going to 9.10?
The 64 bit 8.04 still had a few holes in it.
If your squeezebox thing needs something from 8.04, maybe, if you mention the packets here, someone can tell you how to add them to 9.10.
Maybe you can get a 32 bit 8.04 running.