PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to change what programs open what file types...

DJSchmidty
May 10th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Specifically, I want to know how to make .pls (i think) files open in audacious when I goto shoutcast and click on a tune in button. Right now it wants to open it in the default player, which is "Movie player" but when I goto choose a program, i'm not sure where to look to find the audacious program file. I guess in windows it would be 'program files', but where do I find it in ubuntu? or how do I set it up?

-Thanx

Go_Bucks
May 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Find audacious in synaptic, click on "properties", then click on the "installed files" tab. I haven't used that program, but most executables (but not all) are in /usr/bin. If there is a /usr/bin/audacious or something like that, that is the executable. Set that as the program to open your files in the "open with" dialogue.

DJSchmidty
May 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, thanx for the quick reply... I'm loving this whole ubuntu thing more and more every day. Just tried Kunbuntu for the first time, AWESOME!!!!!!! Its like windows, but not... Its great for friends of mine that i'm trying to convert over to ubuntu, but are reliant on windows...:lolflag:

DJSchmidty
May 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM
K, heres another one for ya.... just noticed as i'm using this site...

K, in IE (Yuck) i'm used to having the middle mouse button (Button 3 i guess) become a scroll function, where is when you press it, the mouse turns into a up./down arrow, and you can scroll the page just from moving the mouse around. You know what i'm sayin?? Anyway, how can I do that?

(Sorry for all the noob questions, but I can't seem to find all the little things, just all the big stuff)

grannyw
May 11th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Wow, thanx for the quick reply... I'm loving this whole ubuntu thing more and more every day. Just tried Kunbuntu for the first time, AWESOME!!!!!!! Its like windows, but not... Its great for friends of mine that i'm trying to convert over to ubuntu, but are reliant on windows...:lolflag:

thats called a community man

Kabatwa
May 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Hey DJSchmidty,

In firefox go to - Tools > Options > Advanced > Click on General Tab and tick the 'Use autoscrolling' box.
Hope that helps!

Oh, and hey, don't worry about the noob-ness. We we're all a noob once :)

Tim

DJSchmidty
May 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I have firefox 3 beta 5, but I don't have "options" under tools.... infact, I don't have it uder any header menu....

-edit

never mind, found it under preferences under edit......

Thanx for the reply!@! Awesome!!!!!!

Now if I can only figure out how to map my backspace button on my keyboard to make the web page go "back" to the previous page, i'll be all set with my browser...

vrybas
May 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I can't help you with "backspace" but here is
http://lesliefranke.com/files/reference/firefoxcheatsheet.html
a Firefox shortcuts. You can go earlier on History with Alt+Left combination.
Also you can enter "about:config" in Firefox URL field (that's Firefox extended configuration feature) and find "browser.backspace_action" parameter using Filter field. Play with it. But I'm not sure how :)