PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Network Manager must have (Search for new Wireless Network) Option?

Kosimo
May 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Promote this idea! ;)

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8326/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8326/)

LaRoza
May 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Could you offer a reason to promote it?

Kosimo
May 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Could you offer a reason to promote it?

Sure.
Example:
You turn on your laptop somewhere, and NetworkManager doesn't find your wireless network (because you are far, or your Access Point is just OFF) Then you move closer to the Access Point or you just turn it on... But then, in order to see that "new" network the only way now is waiting 'till NM find and shows it.

With a REFRESH option, you could find it immediately.

amar
May 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
YES YES YES!! Wanted this for a Long time!

SuperSon!c
May 10th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Sure.
Example:
You turn on your laptop somewhere, and NetworkManager doesn't find your wireless network (because you are far, or your Access Point is just OFF) Then you move closer to the Access Point or you just turn it on... But then, in order to see that "new" network the only way now is waiting 'till NM find and shows it.

With a REFRESH option, you could find it immediately.

what kind of NM doesn't show available connections?

Kosimo
May 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM
what kind of NM doesn't show available connections?

NM=NetworkManager doesn't immediately shows all wireless networks. It refresh the Wireless list every "x" time. I'm suggesting to create an option to "force" this (Recheking, Refresh, Searching) whatever you want to call it.

Makes sense?

SuperSon!c
May 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM
NM=NetworkManager doesn't immediately shows all wireless networks. It refresh the Wireless list every "x" time. I'm suggesting to create an option to "force" this (Recheking, Refresh, Searching) whatever you want to call it.

Makes sense?

yep. since i don't use linux for my wireless, that's a bit stupid that that's not included by default.

p.s. i know what NM was, which is why i used it =P

cchester
May 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I would like to see that added too.

grannyw
May 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I think thats a pretty nice idea,although we dont want Ubuntu-Linux to become windows,we also have to do it more comfortable.

SuperSon!c
May 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I think thats a pretty nice idea,although we dont want Ubuntu-Linux to become windows,we also have to do it more comfortable.

who said anything about it becoming Windows?

SomeGuyDude
May 11th, 2008, 12:46 AM
who said anything about it becoming Windows?

There's this completely pants-on-head retarded tendency around here for people to cry foul any time a feature is suggested that resembles something in Windows, even if it's a completely reasonable and useful feature.

SuperSon!c
May 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM
i've seen that.

amar
May 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Thing is windows doesn't even do it properly - or didn't last time I tried. from memory I had to dig around clicking in different menues hoping that the available networks would refresh. It would need to be very simple and clear. Easy to access.

Kosimo
May 11th, 2008, 09:03 AM
This, isn't really a Ubuntu feature, I'm thinking that we should push this to NetworkManager developers...

And yes, this is a very BASIC feature that should have been there since the first release... Sometimes I had to restart my computer to refresh Wireless list.