PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] have you tested fedora 9 yet?

tjwoosta
May 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM
its getting released in three days, i was just wondering have any of you tried it yet?

how would you compare it to ubuntu hardy?

Bigtime_Scrub
May 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Fedora in general:

Highly innovative, has outstanding security features, has a large number of supported packages

Fedora's priorities lean more towards enterprise features rather than desktop usability.

I personally dont like Fedora but I have many friends and I know a lot of people that swear by it. YOu can read some reviews about it here:

http://distrowatch.com/

Joeb454
May 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'm not Fedora's biggest fan, but I'm sure I'll download it and try it out in a VM sometime.

Also I'm not sure Absolute Beginners Talk is the best place to ask if people have tried pre-release software ;)

p_quarles
May 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Moved to the Fedora/Red Hat section.

Chayak
May 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
It's a good solid distro though I see it more towards workstation/server use than an everyday desktop. It's basically Redhat's testing ground for RHEL so you can use the latest and greatest stuff.

If you want RHEL then use CentOS it is their enterprise server minus the redhat logos.

Antman
May 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Works fine on my test laptop so far. I currently use Fedora 8 on all my home machines (even my son's) save one and that one is running MacOSX. :guitar:

karellen
May 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
not yet, I usually don't try Betas. but Fedora 8 is installed on my working machine, actually dual-booting with Vista

igknighted
May 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Chayak and Joeb...

I have found Fedora to be rather focused on desktop innovation, and leaving the server stuff to RHEL and CentOS. Not sure if you are getting the two confused. AIGLX (compositing for compiz) was a Fedora project; and PulseAudio integration, the newer Xorg with failsafe/bulletproof X and much more have hit Fedora one release cycle before the other major distro's. They have have been the distro in the past couple years that is really leading the charge in desktop innovation. If you want to see what Ubuntu 8.10 will be like, check out Fedora 9.

That said, I have only used Fedora 9 briefly in the beta phase, so I'll be able to further comment on the new release in about 7:37 when my download is complete :).