PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation advice

childofGod
May 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I have a msi kt4v mainboard in pc I built 4 or 5 years ago. My Linux experience is limited (I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on an ancient machine and was able to use Samba to network it with Windows XP machines in a fashion in which the Linux box could access all the shares on the XP pcs but the XP pcs could not access the Linux box). I have been having endless difficulties lately on the 5 year old XP machine. I have not been able to repair or fresh install any version of Windows properly on it. I had to boot into safe mode to get it working at all. I decided to install Ubuntu on this machine and be done with Windows entirely. I can't get it to boot from any Ubuntu install disk (I think because they end up being burned still as .iso files rather than bootable disks). Currently I am installing Gutsy while in safe mode using Wubi. Obviously I have more nerve than knowledge and understanding of what I am doing but I figure it's a good way to learn. Help!!

overdrank
May 10th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have a msi kt4v mainboard in pc I built 4 or 5 years ago. My Linux experience is limited (I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on an ancient machine and was able to use Samba to network it with Windows XP machines in a fashion in which the Linux box could access all the shares on the XP pcs but the XP pcs could not access the Linux box). I have been having endless difficulties lately on the 5 year old XP machine. I have not been able to repair or fresh install any version of Windows properly on it. I had to boot into safe mode to get it working at all. I decided to install Ubuntu on this machine and be done with Windows entirely. I can't get it to boot from any Ubuntu install disk (I think because they end up being burned still as .iso files rather than bootable disks). Currently I am installing Gutsy while in safe mode using Wubi. Obviously I have more nerve than knowledge and understanding of what I am doing but I figure it's a good way to learn. Help!!

Hi and welcome, you may look at this link on burning the cd
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
Then you may want to do a checksum on the cd
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
You may also try when you reach the screen to start/install ubuntu press F6 and edit the kernel line and remove quiet splash so that you can see any errors. Also what is the amount of memory installed on the system? What is the model of the graphics card also?

childofGod
May 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the tips/links. The memory is 792Mb of DDR2. The graphics is onboard- nVidia geForce Mmx440, I believe. While we're talking about this type of thing, I should tell you I'm using an external sound card by Creative Labs- Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum ex, I think. How will this effect the install and ease of use of the OS?