PDA

View Full Version : Linux Google Sketchup

GaryLittlemore
May 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I've setup a iPetition to lobby Google to create and support a Linux Sketchup. There's a PC and Mac version, why not a Linux.

Sign the petition. Spread the word, tell your Linux friends.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/linuxsketchup

barbedsaber
May 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
This is great, but it doesn't belong in absolute beginner talk.

Sidewinder1
May 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM
PC? Are you sure that you don't mean *******?

Sef
May 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

SunnyRabbiera
May 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
well you can bet they might do with this like they did with picasa, give it time.

jdpurdy
May 10th, 2008, 04:06 PM
It's good to se the petition. What is the pass word so that we may vote?

ssam
May 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
i can't imagine that a petition with a password on it will get many signatures

dRock1286
May 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
i can't imagine that a petition with a password on it will get many signatures

yeah...went to go sign it but can't...

regomodo
May 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
yeah...went to go sign it but can't...

ditto

GaryLittlemore
May 10th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry all, i thought it was a thing to stop bots spamming it. It's now been taken off. Please all sign.

amar
May 10th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Signed it now, good luck

Fenris_rising
May 11th, 2008, 12:22 AM
signed here :)

init1
May 11th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Sketchup works somewhat in Wine, but it would be nice to have it running natively in Linux.

GaryLittlemore
May 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Bump

ghindo
May 15th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Not to be negative, but since when has an online petition worked for anything?

dankegel
November 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Works ok for me with wine-1.1.8 and Intrepid on an Nvidia card.
See http://wiki.winehq.org/GoogleSketchup for how to get past the remaining two showstoppers. Also please report any new problems you find to the wine project via that page. They can't fix problems they don't know about!

Dr Small
November 26th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Not to be negative, but since when has an online petition worked for anything?
They have never worked, or at least, I have never heard of them getting anything accomplished.

Anyhow, I have previously signed this petition myself and so has nathangrubb, david and nullhead.

Newuser1111
November 26th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Not to be negative, but since when has an online petition worked for anything?It has worked for something before, but I forgot what the petition was for.

-grubby
November 26th, 2008, 01:56 AM
PC? Are you sure that you don't mean *******?

What's *******? Is it anything like Windows? ;)

ghindo
November 26th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Why clamor for Google's proprietary software instead of focusing on supporting open-source, native software?

zmjjmz
November 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Google can't do this so easily, there are patent issues. (Though the Bilski case might change that)

amar
November 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
using wine from the PPA on hardy, there are a few problems -
* screen doesn't always refresh after selecting an object,
* trying to create a component crashes sketchup
* changing workspaces crashes sketchup

I don't have a wine account, nor do I have time/expertese to fully investigate

aranur
October 13th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Why clamor for Google's proprietary software instead of focusing on supporting open-source, native software?

I know I'm bumping an ooooooolllldddd topic but since we have yet to see a sketchup for linux, what the heck.

Is there an open source software with the ease of use of sketch up? What I'm saying is as far as the end user is concerned, it's the quality of the software that matters. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably the lone open source advocate in my university, hence the call for SketchUp in Linux. If there is an open source project out there with that quality (or at least going in that direction), then I'm all for it.

No, Wings3D and Blender does not make the cut.

Regenweald
October 13th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Try equinox 3D. I too would love to see sketchup in Linux, but from one of their official blogs it would seem that the employees can't really discuss the issue with potential users. Also, with their own OS coming out soon, I don't think they will really hurry to make it available on other OS'es first.

The chromium project so rapidly catching up to speed and surpassing the Google Chrome builds tells me that extensive testing is going on on their Linux based OS.

tuahaa
October 13th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Does any company, especially google ever check those petition sites? I think they do nothing. Anyway, it's great lol