PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to ubuntu need help!

monkeygcb
May 10th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I am new to ubuntu and I am trying to connect to a specific network with an encryption key. I can connect to other networks without encryption key just fine. I have the correct key but i still cannot manage to connect is there anything i should tweak with to get it to work? thanks

helgman
May 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Here is my advice:

1) Make a search through the forum, there has been a lot of topics about wireless problems over the last few weeks - maybe your answer lies in one of them. If not ...

2) ... take a look at the "documentation". The WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo) for example holds a lot of information and also a list of links to other related documents ...

3) ... and if anything in there is unclear or if you feel uncertain about what a specific step will do, if it will help you or, if you in the end still don't get it right, do not hesitate one second to ask. But when you do ...

4) ... please be as specific as you can (type of encryption, what command confuses you etc) as my general guess is that it is a lot easier to get help if the one reading your post has a clear idea of what you need help with.

I truly hope you get connected to the wireless network, and please post if you're not connected after step 1 or 2 (or under any of the above circumstances).

Helgman

ripin1
May 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
why dont you just use a ethernet cable?

monkeygcb
May 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys i got it to work now :KS

whatiam
May 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
may i ask how did you get it to work?