PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [Howto] Easily use wireless in Ubuntu 8.04

chunchengch
May 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Here is a easy way to use wireless in Hardy, wish it is helpful to you.

1. Install package hardinfo to see if Hardy catch your wireless controller/card, if it does, congratulation!

$ sudo apt-get install hardinfo

in the screenshot, you can see my wireless controller is detected.

2. If you have wireless switch on your notebook, turn it on before you power on the notebook.

3. Left-click on the Network Manager icon on the top panel, select one of the wireless networks detected and check it.

4. If you have firestarter installed, it is better to have it installed, then go to the Preferences > Firewall > Network Settings, select Wireless device (wlan0) in both Internet connected network device and Local network connected device.

OK! now you should be able to use wireless to surf internet.

itzig
May 13th, 2008, 04:46 AM
hmm, I can see my card in harinfo, but no connection is shown in networks manager. why's that?

chunchengch
May 13th, 2008, 05:04 AM
hmm, I can see my card in harinfo, but no connection is shown in networks manager. why's that?

first, do you unplug your wired connection? wireless connection will not show in networks manager if wired connection is still plugged.

second, is there wireless switch on your notebook? and do you turn it on?

itzig
May 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
thanks, but I do not have a switch on that card. I tried unplugging the wired connection andrestarted, but still, it won't connect, and it won't show a connection in the manager, but I know there is one here!?
I am using the Linksys WPC54G Card

chunchengch
May 16th, 2008, 02:50 AM
... but I know there is one here!?...

maybe you should try it in other public places...