PDA

View Full Version : Cannot make these .sh scripts executable

dryder
May 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Hi,

I have two scripts that I want executed both manually (without Terminal) and via cron. They are:

#/dev/sdb2
sudo mount UUID=58E86D78E86D5572 /media/hardy32-backups ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_AU.UTF-8 0 22
and
#!/bin/sh
sudo umount /media/hardy32-backupsI have tried everything I can think of but to no avail.
1. Are the scripts wrong, please? Er, if so - where?
2. How can I make them executable manually and via cron without needing terminal please?

I appreciate your help.

David

inportb
May 10th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Your first script looks incorrect. To find out how to use mount, try

mount --help

How do you know your scripts are not executable? How did you try making them executable?

dryder
May 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM
My apologies - I posted the wrong first script.

In answer to your question - they don't mount /unmount the drive.

David

WW
May 10th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I don't think you want to use sudo in your script. Instead, the cron job should itself be root.

There are several ways to set up cron jobs. How are you doing it?

Does your script work when you run it by hand?

Thanoulis
May 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Did you make them executable? Try:

chmod +x <scriptname>

dryder
May 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi WW and Thanoulis,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it is executable, no it won't execute manually. As part of fstab the mount works, though. But I have commented it out in fstab as I only want it manually & by cron.

sudo is there for the manual test - I assumed (?) using cron I would delete sudo.

David.

DBrocks
May 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
make sure cron is running

sh /path/to/your/script.sh
and NOT

/path/to/your/script.

putting the "sh" before should make it work

dryder
May 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks DBrocks,

I will try that when I can get it to work manually.

I appreciate everybody's replies.

David

DBrocks
May 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
how are you trying to run the script?

WW
May 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
The way parameters are specified in fstab is not the same as the way they are given to the mount command. Take a look at man mount.

dryder
May 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The manual script uses sudo, so I click on it and select 'Run in Terminal' - without luck.

This is where I got some info about it:http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p10.htm#Make_a_mounting_script

dryder
May 11th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Sorry, but I have read mount --help many times and just can not see the problem - even mounting by uuid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David

WW
May 11th, 2008, 01:55 AM
There is much more information in the man page. In a terminal, enter the command man mount.

I don't have a device to test this on, but it looks like a mount command something like this should work:

mount -t ntfs-3g -U 58E86D78E86D5572 /media/hardy32-backups

Try it (with sudo, if necessary) in a terminal.

dryder
May 11th, 2008, 02:09 AM
WW,

Yes! that works, thank you - as does my unmount script.

I apologise for my learning curve - in my experience reading was one thing (which I did) but doing it the proof of understanding.

Comparing our codes with the man page, I see now why my syntax (order) was wrong on all the methods I experimented with.

Please accept my gratitude, everybody, for your help - leading to more knowledge for me.
:-)
David

dtmilano
May 11th, 2008, 09:10 PM
There's no need to reproduce your fstab line and perhaps to use sudo either, check man mount:

(ii) When mounting a file system mentioned in fstab, it suffices to
give only the device, or only the mount point.

(iii) Normally, only the superuser can mount file systems. However,
when fstab contains the user option on a line, anybody can mount the
corresponding system.

dryder
May 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
dtmilano,

Thanks - appreciate that though it is not in fstab. I had looked at mtab when it was mounted.

I did read/print the man pages and research this long before I posted - IMHO these are good tools but can be confusing, sometimes.

The explanations given here help in understanding the facts - if that makes sense ? :-)