PDA

View Full Version : HTC touch diamond - awesome 3D effects and... iphone killer?

madjr
May 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
this thing got some crazy effects (specially the weather), watch the video:

http://www.htc.com/www/default.aspx

sadly :( the OS is windows mobile 6... (but not the normal version)

it's been greatly enhanced specially for that phone...

but i still hate the stupid start menu button

now windows mobile is just as cool as the iphone's mac .... so the question is:

Where the Heck are the ANdrOid phones !!!!1

can either android, openmoko or Ubuntu mobile get as cool as that?

i want those effects !

we need some killaz !

magnumbonum
May 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
It does look nice on the still PR-shots and the specs. However, this video failed to impress me, at least:

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2008/05/07/htc_touch_diamond_in_action_video

mech7
May 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM
looks pretty damn nice :D i want one :p

SomeGuyDude
May 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
iPhone = overrated, there are many "killers" already out there.

That said, the Touch Diamond looks crazy awesome.

swoll1980
May 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM
nothing special

barbedsaber
May 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
open moko

mybunche
May 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Looks good on the video, but it runs Windows mobile. Trying to avoid buying any Microsoft OS again. I have given them enough money, and they have given me enough trouble.

klange
May 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM
open moko

...Utterly fails as a piece of hardware and, as of now, a software library. They didn't even try to get the graphics subsystem working, and told me point-blank that they never will, not even in a future version of the Neo. Pretty much put this way: Videos will be capped to 320x240 (because they can't get the graphics working), No compositing (at all. None.), and no chance in hell of ever getting them.

Frankly, I was really turned off to the OpenMoko's hardware implementation long ago. $450 for a horrible phone? I'm not paying that much for freedom if that's what it means.

Personally, I want an iPhone, so I can do my part of the iPhone Linux project. The iPhone is a nice piece of hardware that we'll some day get a kernel running on, and from there, who knows where we can go? Compiz on an iPhone? Maybe in three years.

The new HTC looks nice. Anybody got a link to the exact hardware specs?

Incense
May 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
We sell the 6900 at sprint, and I was not terribly impressed with it. The diamond looks like it has a nicer interface, and I like that they added the more then just the d-pad and send/end keys. Makes it look a bit like a zune though...

SuperSon!c
May 10th, 2008, 02:55 PM
this thing got some crazy effects (specially the weather), watch the video:

http://www.htc.com/www/default.aspx

sadly :( the OS is windows mobile 6... (but not the normal version)

it's been greatly enhanced specially for that phone...

but i still hate the stupid start menu button

now windows mobile is just as cool as the iphone's mac .... so the question is:

Where the Heck are the ANdrOid phones !!!!1

can either android, openmoko or Ubuntu mobile get as cool as that?

i want those effects !

we need some killaz !

too bad it won't look as slick as that fake video, but that second link it looks real good.

It does look nice on the still PR-shots and the specs. However, this video failed to impress me, at least:

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2008/05/07/htc_touch_diamond_in_action_video

pretty tough to impress when it's being used by a guy that has no clue what he's doing.

iPhone = overrated, there are many "killers" already out there.

such as...?

klange
May 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM
too bad it won't look as slick as that fake video, but that second link it looks real good.

What do you mean fake video? That's HTC's web site... The only thing fake in that video is the actual phone. All the screen images are real.

SuperSon!c
May 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM
that's not the actual menu animations in real-time.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Personally, I want an iPhone, so I can do my part of the iPhone Linux project. The iPhone is a nice piece of hardware that we'll some day get a kernel running on, and from there, who knows where we can go? Compiz on an iPhone? Maybe in three years.

Actually, the iPhone runs the same graphics chipset that we can blame for lack of support on Nokia's N800/N810 and (if I recall correctly) the FreeRunner. That is, the PowerVR MBX. The asshats have drivers for a really old 2.4 Linux kernel, and have flat out failed to support the hardware for newer kernels even though it is of immense use to the portable device arena. They also will not release the source, and for some reason Nokia lacks the will to do it themselves, likely due to horriffic license fees involved.
(Mind, the MBX only does 640x480 anyway, so it could still be a little disappointing, although pixel doubling works happily on the N810).
A shame, since it's a very impressive chipset. I found an article somewhere that put it on close terms with the Sega Dreamcast, which was a fairly large machine.

Somehow, though, it was entirely possible to write good PowerVR drivers for the iPhone...

What we need is the government to impose a few laws to get the ball rolling. Working drivers and specs should not be a seperate product from the hardware itself, and must be made available to owners of the hardware. It's like selling something that does not work as advertised, which last I checked is not legal in most free markets.

Edit:
Oops, sorry for the misinformation. Neo1973 uses SMedia Glamo3362 Graphics Accelerator.