PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing kernel

digitalspy99
May 10th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I just started working on ubuntu because i wanted to install AODV-UU on wireless router WRT54GL... I am a beginner. Now, i got help from the site "my.opera.com/subjam/blog/show.dml/472834?cid=4808543".. I have downloaded AODV-UU now i want to install the kernel... but from my cd of ubuntu. can anybody please help me that how can i give my CDROM path in /etc/apt/sources.list so that the installation process is carried out from the same cd from which i have installed my ubuntu???
Please help me... I ll be really thankfull....

Partyboi2
May 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM
To add the ubuntu cd to your sources.list you can open "Software Sources" (System>Admin>Software Sources) and on the 2nd tab press add cdrom, making sure you have the ubuntu disk in the cdrom

You can also use http://packages.ubuntu.com/ to find the needed packages you need to install.

Edit: The above is for hardy. If you are using gusty open Software Sources and on the first tab tick the add cdrom under "Installable from cd-rom/dvd"

Jamin3D
May 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
What should I do if when clicking the link for "Software Sources" it doesn't open? Locks up... I guess? The black-circle cursor goes for a while, then disappears. Other items won't open either, like the Synaptic Package Manager. I've tried rebooting.

(8.04)

edit: fixed that problem (turned out to be a hostname issue)by following the instructions here:
http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=783734

Thanoulis
May 10th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Open your /etc/apt/sources.list and add: (or something like that-depends on your version and/or architecture)

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release amd64 (20080423)]/ hardy main restricted

zvacet
May 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

remove # at the begining of line Thanoulis posted.Save and close file.

sudo apt-get update

This way synaptic will ask you to put CD in the drive and that is what you want.

digitalspy99
May 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Thank you so much...

digitalspy99
May 16th, 2008, 06:01 AM
hey guys... i hust wanted to help you regarding running any installation from cdrom.... just type...
apt-cdrom add
and the path of cd-rom will automatically be added in the sources.list file....
Thankyou all for helping....