PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation help please folks...

unpossible251
May 10th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Hi there - hope people won't get frustrated in the presence of a total newbie!

Ok, I have
AMD 64 x2 4800
motherboard: Gigabyte S series ga-ma770-s3
2 GB ddr-2 ram
Elitegroup GeForce 8400 graphics
80GB Sata

All recently assembled, brand spanking new.

So i turn it on, can go into BIOS ok, running of 'system safe' defaults - except i've made primary drive the CD-ROM as reccomended by the 8.04 page. IDE master is the CDDVD - slave is none

So when i've done with playing BIOS, i try to get the system to read the install CD - heron 64 bit version - and it says :

DISK BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Ok, so that was when I just had the ISO file on the first disk - put that in the rubbish. Second disk I burned was the proper one - with seven folders and five smaller files, including MD5. Same message still.

My theory is that having burned the CD from my old G4 emac - what i'm on now - something got lost in translation. I would dearly love to check how complete the CD is - that would be priority #1 - but can't access it from either.

Anyone got any reccomendations? Thanks for your patience!

Pumalite
May 10th, 2008, 04:02 AM
CD-DVD Drive is best as Second Master. Clean your lens or change your drive after checking all connections and cables. I'm assuming you did burn your iso as image after the md5sum checked out.

unpossible251
May 10th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Thanks pumalite, i'll try that
BUT
when I put in the system install CD for the motherboard, it does take me away to a nice blue screen that isn't anything to do with BIOS. I would expect - vaguely - that the motherboard can 'talk' to the CDDVD in some way.

unpossible251
May 10th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Oh! Oh!
I just remembered that my playstation 3 would support a new OS. Would I have any love in trying to burn something and checking it on that - just to make sure that i'm not doing some egregarious stuff up ? ? ?